Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Keeping the Groove

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bcarll, Sep 28, 2002.

1. bcarll

bcarll

Oct 16, 2001
    Might seem kind of a simple question so probably a simple answer but at this point in my playing it is a complex problem. Seems like when I play a repetitive riff or scale for a long period of time in a song I start to loose my fingering and eventually just loose the groove and finally just blow it. What hints or tips or tricks are there to help out when this occurs. What should I be concentrating on that maybe I am not to maintain that "groove"? The latest song this happened on was "Don't Mess With Bill" a classic Motown song with a repetitive Jamerson bass line. I had it grooving half way through and all of a sudden I lost it. I guess another question would be how do you get back into the song after this happens?

bcarll

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    well.. if you are digging in really hard, try using a lighter touch.. it won't wear you out as fast.

If you aren't digging in hard.. just practice it.. you should be able to feel it.. thats what the groove is.. a feeling.. not really notes.. it should be natural..