Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

keeping the noise OUT

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jimbo, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    so the walls in my new apartment (3 bedroom) are paper-thin. being with 2 other roommates, whose girlfrineds are often over, quite a lot of noise is going on all the time (not always THAT kind :D ) but the TV, steroes, chatter, even the fridge can all be clearly heard from my bedroom which is in the middle of everything. even at low volumes and when they keep their voices down it's still pretty noisy.

so this has been a big distraction to me while i study and the school's library is always too packed/noisy itself so i stopped going there.

i searched around here, but all i could find was on sound proofing and keeping the noise from going outside the room. i want the reverse. so any suggestions on how to keep it quite in here?

-jimbo

2. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    If you have some money to spend, Headphones.... like GOOD headphones...

I use the Shure E-2's... Actually I just flew with them, and I was next the engines on the plane, and the noise level was dramatically reduced...

Bose has new headphones that work pretty well for reducing outside noise, even without music.

The other option is earplugs.... Otherwise, find a lounge on campus that no-one else uses (they DO exist, I gaurantee it...) and use that as your spot.

3. Yeah... headphones/ear plugs or similar will be the cheapest option.

Large-scale sound-proofing of dwellings can be an expensive affair, often with disappointingly minimal results. There are a few things you could do (check for/install door seals for example) but basically, if the sound insulation of the walls is as bad as you describe, you would need to add serious amounts of mass to the walls to see any marked improvement..

4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

When I was in college, I scoped out the quiet spaces.
    I had to live in an overcrowded double so it was always
    noisy and distracting.

Basements, lounges, laundry rooms, utility rooms were all great. I found the upper landing of the stairwell in the 12 floor library was quiet, even grabbed a chair and brought it up there.