Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

keeping the rhythm

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by tasos, Oct 24, 2002.

1. tasos

tasos

Oct 24, 2002
    Cyprus
    I urgently need help. i need some exercises to improve my rhythm. can u help me pls??:confused:

2. Bryhey

Bryhey

Mar 23, 2002
    Ft. Myers, FL
    If you are playing to a cover tune, put the cd in and see if you can keep up...just keep playing like that and it will get better....i promise

Dunivan

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Metronome. Practice slowly with one.

4. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    The metronome is a great way to improve your internal time. As mentioned above, set it at a slow tempo. Another good idea is to have the metronome clicking on beats 2 and 4 only. If you have a "Dr Beat", which is small and relatively inexpensive, you can set it this way quite easily.

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I don't know, I'm starting to get more and more Jeff Berlin-ish on the 'nome issue (please don't kill me :oops:). I feel that the metronome can help you practicing rhythm, provided that someone else (the metronome in this case) is already providing the tempo for you. It is good to practice with a metronome anyway, to learn to keep time within a given frame (to not rush ahead in front of or drag behind the drummer), but I honestly don't think a metronome helps building up the sense of time you have (or don't have) in the brain.

The only advice I have is practice the part you're playing until you know it well enough to not have to think about it. Then just focus on the groove and let the actual notes come automatically. Having a good basic plucking technique helps, so that you don't fumble when trying to play the strings, which could make you play slightly off beat.

Just providing a different POV. Lots of people think that metronomes help them. I don't.

6. Metronomes are the way to go.

They don`t work for me though. :( I have always just kind of jumped in and tried to match the beat as best I can.For me that works better....little by little my sense of timing has gotten better.Since I only play as a hobby and for personal enjoyment this has always been an ok approach.If you are in a band or something more serious you may want to use the `nome or get some specific lessons on timing.

One thing I do find,however,is that when my timing is off it is almost always do to me going too fast .By making the conscious effort to slow down..that is to relax...I am usually able get the timing correct or at least closer to what it should be.

Just my two cents worth.

Usul

7. finno_gilbo

finno_gilbo

Jul 31, 2002
    australia NSW
    play with a drummer, this should help considering drummers and bassers usually work together.
    soon you'll find out how many beats they play between notes etc.
    listen to the snare and bass drum, thats what i do.

8. I find playing with a (good) drummer works best, and being in a band setting is probably even better.

Why?
    If the drummer is good, then he or she can keep time well. That way, you'll be working on rhythm without the boring, monotonous clicks of a metronome. Of course, if there's no drummer around and you can't be buggered to buy a drum machine, then maybe a metronome is the best thing for you.

As for playing in a band setting, you're working with more than just the drummer, and so you can hear if you're in time with the drummer, as well as the rest of the musicians.
    It helped me a lot, anyway. :)

9. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I find practicing to a metronome very difficult, especially if it only clicks on every beat. I much prefer a drum machine with a complete rythm including the sub-divisions you get from the hi-hat. An old-style metronome (swinging arm) is much better than a digital one as you get continuous timing information from the angle of the arm. This is a bit similar to the information you'd get from seeing the continuous movement of the drummer's hand/sticks.

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

If you're timing is off, a few things may be happening.

Perhaps you're anxious to get from one part of a song to another before the change occurs.
    (There's something to be said for keeping it simple)

Playing with recordings always helps, but listening to those same recordings when you're away from your instrument helps immensely too.

It always helps to play with another musician, because if timing gets messed up. you both know it, and can sort it out.

I personally can't stand a click. Being a former drummer, I bother to program a machine with different beats to jam with. It's a little more spontaneous, but other musicians are the best.

11. I know the metronome can be a controversial subject but I can say it's helped my timing immensely. Putting the beat on the two and four and then trying to hear, and accent, the subdivisions in between is a great way to work on sense of timing- at least for me. I also work with a drum machine a lot and that's a great tool as well. I'll set a rhythm on the drum machine and work on playing in front, on and behind the beat.

As far as playing with a drummer, my goal is to try to lock into what he's doing, no matter what kind of timing he has. Of course it's always a whole lot easier to lock in with a drummer who can play in time. Also, having a good understanding of what playing in time is all about helps me to either pull the tempo back if the band is rushing or propel the tempo forward if it's bogging down too much.

12. I don't need a drum-machine or a metronome, I use Fruityloops, I just love that little piece of software.

13. What is FruityLoops,George?Some type of drum/music software?Sounds interesting.

14. Yes Usul, it is basically a beat or loop creation tool with loads of options. You can use your own samples and loops (timestretched automaticly when changing the tempo), you can adjust every individual sound. (volume, pitch, reverb, echo, attack, decay, sustain, ...)
    There's the beat slicer (like Recycle), a softsynth, you can use VST plugins, ...
    I especially like the humanize function, wich slightly randomizes the timing and volume, so it sounds more like a real drummer.

You can check it out at http://www.fruityloops.com

15. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I use a Zoom RhythmTrak RT123
    [​IMG]

I got a pair of self-amplified computer speakers to go with it. It has almost 300 pre-programmed rhythms, not just in 4/4 time but also some with 2 and 3 beats per measure. You can slow everything down to 40 bpm or speed them up to over 200 bpm. Slower rhythms are better for developing your timing!

Here's a website for all of its technical info:
    http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=176&brandID=4

It is a hell of a lot more fun to jam with than a boring monotonous metronome! I don't practice alone without it.

16. Like everyone said about the metrinome it is a great way to practice. I also find that a drummer can be your best friend and that nothing can replace the real thing, but they are not always avalible. The other thing you can do is, if it is a recorded song buy the CD and practice to the song as your play it. The other thing that you can do is to tap you foot to songs on the radio or to other things while you are not in proctice this will help you develop your timming skills. I have been playing and timming music for the past 14 yrs. and now a days I find myself timming and giving people a tempo to the way that they talk, but you do not have to do that to be good at tempos.

17. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Get a Metronome Program for the PC or buy a Metronome.. U should try to get a Digital Metronome.. I have a Non Electric ones.. they are good because they dont' have batteries etc.. but if you don't have it on a FLAT FLAT surface, it will screw up the beat a little...

There is ALWAYS that saying.. "The Metronome is your best friend and your worst enemy"

Good luck

DM

18. tasos

tasos

Oct 24, 2002
    Cyprus
    I want to thank u all for all your help. Most appreciated. :D :D :cool:
    Till next time then .....

19. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    Dig Renoise. It`s an old-school tracker with some great free vst plugins. It`s a bit more complicated than fruityloops, but it also offers a lot more. I`ve been using trackers for several years now, and IMO it`s one of the best ways to create music using computer. When you get some cool drum samples, it can be a very powerfull drum machine.