1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Keeping the right wrist straight??

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by cire113, Aug 26, 2012.

1. cire113

cire113

Apr 25, 2008
    Ive seen the todd johnson floating thumb video problem is my shoulder gets sore from holding it up..

Im trying to figure out as many positions possible to get comfortable and keep the right wrist straight..

I have no clue how 95% of players can play with their right wrist severely bent most of the time..

I personally broke my arm in 5 places and have 2 metal plates so i am personally trying to keep the wrist straight..

Ive been checking out Tony Grey's technique it looks like he keeps his wrist straight but i cant figure out if he's doing free stroke or rest stroke.. looks like free stroke?

Thoughts?

2. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    I find free stroke playing harder with FT because laying your hand flat on the strings with the thumb muting is at odds with the natural curl in your gfingers that comes from playing that way.

3. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Your shoulder is sore becuase you are lifting your shoulders when you play. Floating Thumb only requires you to not fix your thumb...not lift your shoulder, so look to your elbow/forearm as a factor not the shoulder.
    Many player un-wittingly play with raised shoulders and never realise the problems they suffer are part of it.
    Find a mirror, stand in front of it and do ' shoulder shrugs' and watch how your shoulders look and feel when 'down'.

To do the shrugs correct, lift your shoulders as high as you can and hold for five seconds, then push them down, and i mean down as far as the can go, and hold for five seconds. Repeat this a number of times, then just do them fast.
    Apart from loosening off the shoulder muscle groups, it will show you how the shoulder feel when relaxed and down. Shoulders that are tense are up.

Many players will find if they review their posture in this matter, they can have their shoulders down and relaxed a lot more often than they do.

As for free strokes and rest strokes, your playing will dictate which ones you use. you really cannot dictate and control such matters, yes you learn to use them in a deliberate way, but there use develops out of the neccesity of playing. So practice them slow and deliberate and then let them just become part of your techniques.
    Floating thumb is about the thumb being free, that is free to be a mute or not to be a mute, free to go to a fixed position or not, free to join in and pluck or not...the thumb can join in to mute, pluck or do what ever and when ever needed becuase it 'floats'. In a fixed position the thumbs options are reduced.:)

4. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    You should be lifting your elbow, not your shoulder.

5. Move your elbow to the side.... further away from your body. It'll let you drop your shoulder.

6. Groove Master

Groove Master

Apr 22, 2011
    Montreal
    Author of Groove 101, Slap 101 and Technique 101
    Check out Gary Willis take on this. He places his hand and bass in a way that the wrist is almost straight and this prevent from bending the tendons which makes them stronger. This helps so much.

7. S6I6X

S6I6X

Jun 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Tony Grey and Gary Willis both use non-normal right techniques. Yes you can keep your shoulder down and wrist strait doing the normal finger style technique like stated above but they are doing what is called 4 finger technique. I know Garry Willis does it for sure but I can't remember if tiny grey does it the exact way or a variation of it but either way it's a totally different angle and style then normal finger technique. Here's a good video explaining the technique. Notice the angle/curve of the fingers and then watch that tony grey video again.

8. S6I6X

S6I6X

Jun 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Ok, so I went back to the Tony Grey video (I am on my phone and didn't want to lose what I already wrote) and he doesn't use his thumb but he used his fingers very much in the same way as the 4 finger the technique. See how they are curved unlike regular finger style like let's say Les Claypool or Victor Wooten.