keeping up with a mesa dual rec

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rusmannx, Feb 8, 2004.

1. rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    my guitarist is planning to upgrade to a mesa boogie duel rectifier, so i'm thinking it is time for me to make a jump as well.

i'm looking at gallien kruger, but i don't really know how many watts i should shoot for.

what do you guys think?
  2. 500+ watts into a good sized cab, like a 410 or 610.

Get a Mesa 400+ bass amp head, that would be cool.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Another vote for the Mesa 400+
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Initial reaction...LOTS OF WATTS and LOTS OF CONE AREA.

How reasonable is the guy?
  5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    How many cabs is he using?

If he's using 1 4-12 then I say closer to 800 watts but 500 might be ok.

The 400+ would be good though since its tube.

6. To my ears the classic SVT with 8x10s has the sound and power that matches up best with a Marshall.
  7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    :) Maybe so, but then again maybe you should read the first post again.

8. Yeh,

It says "What do you guys think" others have suggested differing setups such as Mesa 400+ etc. Are you suggesting that they should also re-read the 1st post? :)
  9. Haha, I think he meant that it's not a's a Mesa.
  10. oops...
    Been reading too many posts, :meh: Sorry guys, I finally get it. :)
  11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Its all gravy. :)

Doesnt mean that that the classic Ampeg stack wouldnt be a good candidate either.

12. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    First thing to do is make sure that your guitar player is using decent settings on his amp.

My guitar player has a dual rec and here's the big problem. When he plays by himself, he makes his guitar sound good to his ear. This includes bumping his bass dial up to 7 or 8. Yes it sounds good alone, but when he plays with the band, it sounds like we're swimming through mud. I can't even hear myself playing because the guitar is eating up all the high bass frequencies. I told him to turn his bass down to three and let me fill it in and ever since we've sounded better.

Now I'm not saying not to have a great bass rig, just remember that I had about 4000 watts of power available and I still couldn't hear myself over the 100 watt mesa when it was using high bass settings. Plus, most guitar players in general just need to learn to turn down. I was at practice the other day and I couldn't hear the friggen drums because of the guitar.

As far as recommendations: Mesa boogie is very nice. Check out the new Big Block. Very reasonable price, simple setup, 750 watts of power.