Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Keeping Your Neck Clean and Fast!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Quadzilla, May 25, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hey all,

Question: What do most of you use to clean your neck? I don't want to hurt the finish but want to keep the neck nice and fast (sweat left to dry = slow neck). The neck on my new bass is satin polyurethane, not sure about my other basses. Fire away with your recommondations! Thanks!

2. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    You can use something like Endust to clean the neck. It doesn't have any wax in it so it won't do any polishing and ruin the satin appearence while you're just attempting to clean it.

3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Cool, thanks Bud! I just want to make sure that I keep my, I mean your neck in good shape! ;)

4. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i tend to wipe it down after i play. then before i play the next time and it usually keeps it nice.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I find that keeping my neck clean starts before I even touch my bass. I wash my hands with soap, and dry them really well before I even pick it up. My family teases me that I "scrub in" like a surgeon to get ready to play my bass.

-Mike

6. MCT

MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    Yep I do the same. I notice that it keeps the strings crisper, longer.

7. ashbory

ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
    I use a microfiber cloth to wipe down the strings and back of the neck. Works great and won't damage the finish.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I love microfiber cloths. I use them with all my basses now, and they're great for cleaning without scratching. Those superlight swirly spiderweb scratches that occur with cotton cloths don't happen with microfiber, and they pick up dirt and fingergrease/sweat with very little effort.

I believe that while I mailordered mine from Ed Roman ( :( ) you should be able to pick them up at any place that sells car detailing gear.

9. Achey

Achey

May 6, 2005
    Northern Ireland
    I do the same, I know it may sound silly, but it really does help me play better and keeps my neck nice and clean.

10. Warwickman0810

Warwickman0810

Mar 29, 2005
    London, UK
    I use lemon oil (a fretboard cleaner but works wonders with necks) once a week. I also use a microfibre cloth to rub the lemon oil into the neck adn then leave it to dry overnight and wipe the neck with a clean microfibre cloth in the morning. so far I haven't had any problems and it does not wreck the finish. good luck!

11. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    I use rubbing alchohol to take off the dirt, and the lemon oil to keep the shine and so the wood doesnt dry out too much.

12. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I like my necks dirty, funk brings the funk.

13. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Gibson Fretboard Conditioner on the fretboard/fingerboard, at least every three months on average. And a light wipedown of the entire instrument with Dr. Duck's Axe Wax, every so often as needed - good stuff that will keep even the stickiest gloss finish clean, smooth & slippery - without damage of any kind.

Oh, yeah: I keep the hands clean & dry too...

MM

14. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa

I have read numerous places that an organic oil (like vegetable oil) can literally destroy a fretboard. These 2 articles mention using a petroleum based oil (like non-detergent NEW motor oil). Worth a read from 2 reputable sources.

http://www.guitarsam.com/ezine/2000.6.5.htm (search for "Home Fretboard Care" in this article

http://www.cumpiano.com/Home/Articles/Articles/fbrd oil.html

Just my thoughts. :eyebrow: :hyper:

15. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    uhm... Petroleum oils are organic... When talking about anything outside the food industry, organic means that the substance contains carbon. Petroleum is an amalgum of complex carbon-based molecules. Refinement separates and changes these molecules into the multitude of organic products we use today (plastics, finishes, fuels, food addtitives, etc. etc. so on and so forth)

I can see not using a vegetable or animal-based oil, since they can and do become rancid... since the wood of your neck is ALSO vegetable-based (being wood), rotting oil could possibly rot your neck. I still wouldn't trust motor oil on my neck *L* I'll stick to something made by a guitar manufacturer

16. MCT

MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    So what oil would you use on the fretboard? You know to keep the fret less in good condition.

17. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I have a musicman sterling and on the ernieball site they recommend that you use lemon oil to keep the neck clean. However I have no idea what lemon oil is or where to get it.

It sounds like something you use to cook with.

18. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    by microfiber do u mean those chamois clothes that soak up water really really quickly? never thought of using those. those things are great

19. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Um, I don't know if we're talking about the same thing. Mine's about a foot and a half square, and is almost like a fine terry. The fabric isn't particularly smooth feeling, but not rough either. It picks up smudges and dirt like nothing I've had, and doesn't do any surface wear.

The tag sez "microfiber detailing cloth" and 70% polyester 30% polyamide.

20. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Real Chamois is processed Suede. It's designed to be soft and absorbant, so you can "pull" the water off of your car. Using other cloths can leave swirls, and air-drying leaves spots. Not sure how well a real chamois would work on a neck.

Microfiber cloths are made of yarns of finely spun threads of (in this case) polyester and polyamide (nylon).