Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Keeping your place cool during summer

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by canopener, Jun 9, 2005.

1. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Have any of you used evaporative coolers? My apartment doesn't have central air...and I have a 5,000 BTU a/c unit in my living room, but the way the apartment is set up, air doesn't flow well to the bedroom. I was thinking about picking up one of these for the bedroom. I like the idea of being able to keep the only window in the bedroom free for opening when it isn't hot enough for the a/c. How well have these worked for you? I guess my main concern would be humidity, even though it doesn't get as hot in PA as it does in some places, the sticky air can make temps in the 60s feel rotten.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Once when I lived in College Station, TX (1.5 hours drive northwest of Houston) our A/C went out Friday afternoon of July 4th weekend. The thermostat read 100 degrees INSIDE! I think the outside temp was up to 105 or so that weekend and the humidity was really high too. I stayed in there the first night but found another place to stay for the rest of the weekend.

brad cook

3. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    It's about 5 degrees here, I'll trade you some of my air for some of your air.

Though I get the sneaking suspicion that by the time it gets here it might just have cooled down.

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    We used to use one of them.. Worked pretty well. And we used it in a fairly open living area.

5. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    5 degrees??? TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!

6. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Huh. They don't tell you much about the product they're trying to sell you, do they.

You might want to keep in mind that whatever humidity you pump into the air with a swamp cooler, your A/C unit will have to pump back out to do its job. And unless you're in a free-electricity situation, you're footing the bill for both halves of that equation.

Being in PA as you are it's probably not much of an issue. In VA where things get "sticky humid" sometimes, if you're paying attention to your electric bills you quickly discover that opening the windows on cool nights to save money... doesn't. :rolleyes:

If you get one, let us know how it works -- I'm also curious as to anyone else's experience with them. I've only run into them in places like greenhouses, where they do seem to do a pretty decent job of keeping the air cool.

'rick

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, we don't have swamp coolers around here either because it's too humid. I'd never even heard of a swamp cooler until late high school.

brad cook

8. JTbass

JTbass

Jul 2, 2004
    Asutin TX
    We had a swamp cooler while I was growing up. I didn't have a/c until I moved out of my dad's house. I think he got an a/c put in that year. :rolleyes:

First off swamp coolers are virtualy useless in a humid climate. I mean big waste of time and money. I grew up in Lubbock TX for the most part and it is one of the dryest cities I know of. In lubbock all you get is a lot of wind and dust. And when it does rain, it collects all the dust and rains mud. So here a swamp cooler works great, we had a large central unit on top of our hose that kept everything fairly cool.

So if I were you I'd just spend a little more money and put in another window a/c unit for your bedroom. You could even turn the other one down or off at night to save electricity.

Good luck staying cool.

~John

9. I keep my place cool by having Jazz musicians over for dinner once a week. Sometimes they say, "Like, pass the salt, man." :p

Mike :D

10. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Yeah, I was kind of hoping my own coolness would have a convection effect in my pad, but it just wasn't happenin'.

But I guess nobody has used one of these things? I was really only concerned if these things would add to humidiy levels, or the cooling of the surrounding air lead to an overall reduction of humidity levels.

I guess I'd be better off buying a second a/c.

11. I bought one of these guys yesterday; they work pretty well.
    www.vornado.com - click on products.

Mike

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    My presence is usually enough.

13. Yes indeed. :cool: :D

Mike ;)

14. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US