Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Keith, Curtis and Clifton Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by lownotes02, Feb 8, 2005.

1. lownotes02

lownotes02

Jan 19, 2005
    Melbourne, Fl
    How would it compare to a New Standard La Scala?

Hello,
    I bought a crapatino (I know, it was before I discovered this site) and, true to form, the top is sinking in nicely and it is getting ready to implode anyday. Im still banging on it until it finally caves in.
    Needless to say, I need a new bass. Ive perused the forums, and here's the conclusion Ive come up with in a nutshell.

In the 1500 thru 3500 price range, if I go with a Strunal, Shen, or Christopher, I cant really go wrong, and if I can spend the extra money, go with a Christopher or Shen over a Strunal. If you can scrape together another grand or two, and can afford 5-6 gs, go with the New Standard over all of them.

Obviously, I dont want to buy anything sight unseen (a lesson learned courtesy of Ebay and the fine folks at Palatino) ;) , and I need to find a bass that "speaks to me." I would love nothing more than to line them up side by side and play all of them, but I dont think anybody in my area (Central Florida) has a store that big. If I need to drive somewhere (say within 1000 miles) thats not a problem either, I was wondering how you guys would handle it if you were in my position.

The reason for my post is that we have a store in Melbourne, Fl called Atlantic Strings. They have about 20 different basses in stock, and the guy there told me about this KCC bass for 4 grand, used. They retail for about 5600 new per their website (kccviolins.com) According to him, it was the best bang for the buck they had in my price range
    Ive never heard anything about them, does anybody know anything about these basses, and do you think they would be a contender with the New Standard?
    How would I find out where the dealers are that sell the other brands so I could compare them ALL before I plunk down the money?
    Thanks in advance for your help, and I wish I wouldve found this site before I bought a Chinese Junk. Who knows, maybe it will make a good surfboard someday! ;)

2. http://www.gollihur.com/
    In case you haven't found it yet, this site is a clearing house for info on all things bass-related. It includes a list of luthiers/ dealers. Bob Gollihur is highly regarded by all.

3. Dudie

Dudie

Apr 26, 2004
    Sweden
    Is it just me that have trouble with the Gollihur-site? It loads slowly and i cant look at images :crying:

4. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    Check your PM

5. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I haven't had any problem's with Bob's site- just ordered his Gollihur custom bag actually. Hail Bob!
    I am aware of a monstrous string shop with an auditioning auditorium built in, but it is New Mexico- quite the drive from Florida.
    Also, Wally Kay has a decent inventory at his string shop in New Orleans (he advertises on this forum) and that may not be too bad a drive. I don't really knwo much though, wait for someone that knows what they are talking about to come along, haha.

6. lownotes02

lownotes02

Jan 19, 2005
    Melbourne, Fl
    Thanks everybody for your input. I will certainly ck out all those stores to help me narrow down my final decision. I play gigs in Biloxi, MS about every 3 mos or so, and New Orleans is only an hour away, so it will give me something to do when Im up there for 2 weeks. Also, my dad lives in Phoenix (near String Emporium) and the rest of my family lives in San Diego, so it looks like I can kill two birds with one stone and visit the relatives while Im out shopping for a new bass. I just hope my Palatino doesnt blow up before then.

Larry, I got your PM. Could you plz email/call me, Id be interested in talking to you. Thanks.

5string DNA, is the shop your referring to Robertson and Sons in Albuquerque? Thats right on my way to California and Im going to go there as well, but if this place your referring to is in Santa Fe, I dont mind making a detour up there either, since Im already going to be in the area.

This forum is an absolute goldmine of information. I only wish I wouldve discovered it (and the DB) much earlier when I first started playing EB. The more I dig into the DB, the more dust my EB seems to collect, and the less interested I am in playing it. I guess Im ready for a 12-step "recovering slabaholics" support group for those of us who've made the transition to DB and never looked back. Thanks again to everybody for your help and support.

Brian

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I LOVE that!

8. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Unless there is another stringed-instruments mecca in Albuquerque, then that would be the one. :) My brother drove out there from Denver to buy his cello a couple years ago and was awe-stricken with the place.

9. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm came across KCC recently. Never heard of them before - did you ever get their bass? Atlantic Strings (and their sister shop Gatchell Strings) in Florida carry them and Rudolf Fiedler basses (that came up in another thread).

Just curious.

Louis

10. Bass Barrister

Bass Barrister

Nov 4, 2004
    Chicago
    According to the kccviolins.com website, the instruments come from Romania. That website, however, has no other identifying information and the "contact us" page requests contact via e-mail. It does appear that Gatchell is the distributor and Gatachell's retail operation, Atlantic Strings, sell them to the public.

I did find this suposedly "confidential" price list for 2008 that identifies the source for kcc violins, at least some of them, as China: http://www.giannaviolins.com/vl/GVViolinLines.pdf

Looks like Gatchell/Atlantic distributes and sells products from several sources, including Rudolph Fiedler products from the Czech Republic. Allen Gatchell apparently has a good reputation in the violin community so I don't think they would sell anything second rate. I guess folks will just have to try these products out and report actual experiences as opposed to our feeble, if well intentioned, speculations.

11. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for digging into this!

Louis