Keith Emerson

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Jan 31, 2005.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

For a class about old electronic instruments, I want to show my students the Emerson, Lake And Palmer video in which they perform a 43-minute version of "Pictures At An exhibition". I'd like to tell them about the instruments that Keith Emerson plays there, but I can't find detailed info on them, aside from the Hammond organ. Do you know that instrument that looks as a stick which produces a portamento effect and he uses for stage antics like wiping his a** with it? I highly appreciate if anyone can point me to links to good resources on Keith Emerson's 70s rig. Thank you in advance.
  2. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I couldn't find any info on that stick thing (some kind of theremin maybe..?) but hot damn check out that Moog modular!
  3. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    On the "Pictures" video, Keith whips out what is referred to as the infamous "ribbon controller". Sometimes it will even
    emit a shower of sparks or a few fireballs. Here's some more info:

4. hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    There's a recent book called Analog Days that talks about Emerson's various Moogs (but I think it concentrates mainly on the earlier stuff).

Also check out the Moog Music Forum - for instance, the following thread has some stuff (not specifically about the Pictures at an Exhibition DVD, but interesting nonetheless):

RE: Ribbon controller - do a google search - there are some "synth museum" type websites out there - I seem to remember a picture of a ribbon controller.

Tomita also used ribbon controllers on pieces like his take on Stravinsky's "Firebird" - but I don't think Tomita's shot fire!