Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Keith Emerson

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Jan 31, 2005.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

For a class about old electronic instruments, I want to show my students the Emerson, Lake And Palmer video in which they perform a 43-minute version of "Pictures At An exhibition". I'd like to tell them about the instruments that Keith Emerson plays there, but I can't find detailed info on them, aside from the Hammond organ. Do you know that instrument that looks as a stick which produces a portamento effect and he uses for stage antics like wiping his a** with it? I highly appreciate if anyone can point me to links to good resources on Keith Emerson's 70s rig. Thank you in advance.

2. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I couldn't find any info on that stick thing (some kind of theremin maybe..?) but hot damn check out that Moog modular!
    [​IMG]

3. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    On the "Pictures" video, Keith whips out what is referred to as the infamous "ribbon controller". Sometimes it will even
    emit a shower of sparks or a few fireballs. Here's some more info:

http://www.markglinsky.com/msgelp.html

Slug

4. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    There's a recent book called Analog Days that talks about Emerson's various Moogs (but I think it concentrates mainly on the earlier stuff).

Also check out the Moog Music Forum - for instance, the following thread has some stuff (not specifically about the Pictures at an Exhibition DVD, but interesting nonetheless):

http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=778

RE: Ribbon controller - do a google search - there are some "synth museum" type websites out there - I seem to remember a picture of a ribbon controller.

Tomita also used ribbon controllers on pieces like his take on Stravinsky's "Firebird" - but I don't think Tomita's shot fire!