Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Keith Horne-Bassball

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DWBass, Mar 1, 2006.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Keith doesn't get mentioned as often as he should.

Bassball

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Agreed...although, maybe he should get back to playing in projects where he can really show his abilities.
    Sorry, I've seen him playing do-nuts half the night behind Trisha Yearwood...tasteful? Yes, although, it would be nice to hear Horne in a situation where he's putting it out there every night(like his fellow members of the VA Bass cabal: Wooten, Oteil, James Genus).

There's a story when Secrets opened for Miles Davis at the Richmond Mosque(IIRC). Daryll Jones was into his big solo...the crowd was chanting "Bassball! Bassball! Bassball!"

...and I didn't click on your link-
    On the album, it's Carter Beauford on cans. Live, "Bassball" was done about 2x as fast as the studio version.
    ;)

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Oh, I got the live version too! Yeah, I wish he would do more progressive like projects!

4. I'd like to hear his solo stuff, because whenever i see him (usually in BP ads) it says that he is with trisha yearwood, and i don't usually equate Trisha Yearwood with amazing bass solos...

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

You know what though, that's a gig you just can't turn down! There a ton of monster players touring with pop and country acts! That's a high profile gig that I'm sure pays pretty well!

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...it does pay well.
    It's gotta, right?
    ;)

I had this uneasy feeling that Secrets played for 'The Door' at the Jewish Mother or Hopper's, etc. That woulda been a damn shame. Eventually, Horne left for Nashville & toured with Tanya Tucker, then Waylon Jennings, then Peter Frampton, then Trisha Yearwood...now he has his own Country-Rock-Pop-Funk-Blues band called Hot Apple Pie.

Some of other members of Secrets joined/played/recorded with DMB...Secrets' Dane Bryant played keys with Clint Black.

7. I am not much of a country fan but Hot Apple Pie is pretty good stuff - definitely some good bass in the couple of songs I heard.