Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Keith Jarrett doc on C4 (UK)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Sorry for the minor spam-age but I really want to let you guys know about a superb jazz documentary on Keith Jarrett, that is being shown on terrestrial Channel 4 on Monday 20th of December - I went to a screening and it has some lovely archive footage of all of Jarrett's bands - some cool electric Miles Davis footage - plus a load of acoustic stuff featuring Peacock, Haden and Palle Danielsen among others - plus Jarrett is such a monster at improvising (possibly the Pablo Picasso of the piano) it's also really wonderful to get a big dose of a broad cross-section of his work - it's quite an awe-inspiring film.

It's on at 7.30pm GMT - hope at least a few of you will check it out - my neighbour (literally, my neighbour) is an old jazz trumpeter guy called Ian Carr who had a band called Nucleus in the 1960s and 70s (look them up, they were a UK version of Weather Report) and he was the main consultant on the doc - he's 71 now (Carr) and this is a real labour of love for him.

Cheers

Mike

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Yes, I am looking forward to this after reading about it in a Channel 4 magazine that came with yesterday's Sunday times. Any jazz on terrestrial TV is welcome!

I am impressed that Ian Carr is your neighbour! I have picked up a couple of the Nucleus reissues this year and they're great stuff! A definite WR/electric Miles thing going on!

I don't think it got mentioned on Talkbass, but did you catch the other jazz documentary that was on Channel 4 recently? I didn't like Branford Marsalis as a presenter, but liked the range of musicians that got screentime - Bill Frisell, Chicago Underground Trio, Soweto Kinch etc.

3. Yeah Ian is a cool guy - he knows everyone in jazz - he's mates with Jack DeJohnette and Joe Zawinul etc etc - he says he lost count of the times he saw Waether Report live - lucky bugger!!! Nucelus were a seriously hot band and when Ian was at the height of his playing powers he really was a brilliant trumpeter.

I did see the Marsalis thing - and yes, he was a bit annoying - but a lot of the music was really good, I like dave Douglas and pretty much everyone on that program was worth checking out - Branford is pretty conservative in his views - much like Wynton, but at least he acknowledges <b>electric instruments are ok!</b>.

You must check out the Jarrett thing - it's brilliant...

4. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    BUMP for the UK posters that didn't notice this thread. The documentary is on Channel 4 tonight at 7.30pm. The VCR is set!

5. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    A very interesting documentary! I particularly enjoyed the footage of Jarrett with Miles and his classic American and European quartets. It’s a shame that so much good archive jazz footage is locked away in vaults – surely there’s a market for this sort of stuff on DVD?

It’s a shame that his music has required such large personal sacrifices (i.e. his lost adolescence; obsessive-compulsive habits; chronic fatigue syndrome).

I was surprised at just how gaunt Gary Peacock looked in the interview segments, but I think he had some major surgery earlier this year – possibly for a brain tumour IIRC.

Pass on my thanks to Ian – he and Mike Dibbs have done a very good job.