Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Keith Jarrett: The Art of Improvisation

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Picked up this DVD the other day, and I have to say it's really well done. Kind of like a biography with running commentary from Keith, but extremely well produced and fascinating. The interviews with Jack and Gary at the end were also very illuminating in terms of perspectives on trio playing. Highly recommended. What's amazing is that the technology has gotten to the point where the audio is pristine, and the video quality is so good that in some ways it's almost (notice I said almost) better than being there in some ways because you can freeze frame and slo-mo the passages showing the bassists and learn a lot about technique. I expect some flames for this last, but I hope most will know what I mean. Watching NHOP in slow motion the other night really showed me how that three-finger thing he did works.

Next up: The Universal mind of Bill Evans.

I seem to have caught DVD fever lately, and will be looking for all of the best bassist DVD's I can find since there aren't really any jazz players in the immediate vicinity I want to study with. Strange, but I'm finding the DVD's very inspiring lately...which is good, because there are so many out there. What are some of your faves?

2. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Well, if you don't have it, I think a great DVD is the Oscar Peterson Montreux concert with Ray Brown and NHOP. The two are so very different, and it's fascinating to see how Peterson's playing actually changes depending on which bassist is backing him up at any given time. Also the DVD has one fabulous track called "You Look Good to Me." I haven't been able to find many good recordings of that one, but it's a gem.

I made a thread about this a while back, but I think it got a bit cluttered with arguments about NHOP.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    To be honest, the concert section on the Rufus Reid: The Evolving Bassist Millenium Edition DVD is excellent -- he's playing in a trio with Mulgrew Miller and Lewish Nash. Great shots of Rufus playing, especially up in thumb position! Another great DVD with absolutely stunning production is (don't laugh) the Diana Krall: Live in Paris DVD. Yeah, most of her stuff is easy listening/random love songs, but this DVD is full of old jazz standards and the band -- Anthony Wilson (g), John Clayton (b), Jeff Hamilton (d), and Paulihno Do Costa (perc.) -- is swinging like crazy on the uptempo stuff. A couple of really nice bass solos (including a very swinging arco solo) are played by Mr. Clayton, with GREAT shots of him and his technique. The only thing that irritates me about the DVD (and a big thing at that) is that there's an orchestra that can get really syruppy, but they don't play on the uptempo stuff.

Also, there's a Gary Burton/Chick Corea DVD out. No bassist, but I'm sure it's a great show.

-Aaron

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I've been sitting at Rufus' feet all week watching him play live, likewise Lynn Seaton. Great lessons to be learned...notice I said almost as good as being there above. ;)

I would never laugh at Diana Krall's band. While I also share the distaste for the big band/orchestra sections, I also appreciate the intimacy of her group when it's just three or four folks, and I think that listening to vocal renditions is a great way to get deeper into standards that I don't already know the words to. I'll check this one out.

PALE ALE - I'll definitely check out the the Oscar DVD as well, as I have a great respect for both bassists. Thanks for the reminder.

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    :eek: DUDE!

Agreed! There are a lot of great solos on this from Anthony Wilson, too. If I didn't have so many albums on my "CDs to Buy" list, a DB to pay off, and a whole list of stuff I need for it (bow repairs, fingerboard dressing, bow case and quiver, new nut, etc.) I'd go out and buy at least two of his solo records right now. The financial situation hasn't been helped out by the fact I just bought three albums in less than 5 days!

As for Oscar -- you might want to consider his "A Night in Vienna" DVD. IMO, it's not a very strong release from Oscar himself, as it's his first gig after his stroke and there is definitely a noticeable decline in his playing (especially when watching/listening to this back to back with his Live at the Blue note releases from a year or two BEFORE the stroke) but the band is really swinging on this one, including Ulf Wulkenhauss (sp?) on guitar and NHOP on bass. Some really rockin' solos from him, too -- I never thought I'd like an OP group without Ray Brown in it, but this one made me a believer in NHOP.

6. been into DVD fever bigtime these days... one I enjoy watching alot is "The Coltrane Legacy" which shows alot of fingers movin' via Reggie Workman, Jimmy Garrison (who has a nice solo break), although it's electric, there's a great bass solo during "Oye Como Va" by the great Bobby Rodriguez on Tito Puente "Live in Montreal", "Masada Live at Tonic" (which makes me climb the walls, in a good way) features some very very tasty contrabass via Greg Cohen (Ornette Coleman fame) nicely shot and great audio quality

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Chris: I'm watching the Diana DVD again (I was checking out "East of the Sun" for an upcoming gig and got hooked again!) and another thing that bears mentioning is how much ass Jeff Hamilton is kicking on this. The man's a whiz and his solos are brilliant, but...oh man. If (when?) you get this, make sure to check out the solo on "Devil May Care," and then watch his hands at the end of it -- the brushes are out of his hands and the sticks are back so fast, I wasn't even sure I could believe my eyes. He goes between the two so seamlessly -- he uses them to set the mood at the beginning of "Cry Me A River" and is using the sticks again by the end. Truly a master on his instrument...

8. Chris, I have also the DVD bug and have had the problem for about the past 3 years, (Jazz DVD's to date 45) YES to all the above recomendations and if like me and you get hooked on the O/Peterson/ Brown NHOP DVD by Norman Grantz buy the complete series as I did... the only one not worth the money is Ray Bryant Solo....had a real problem with the sound!
    Just another one to get hold of is "George Shearing with Brian Torff" Do a nice arrangement of "Love For Sale"except Brian makes some "LOUD" adjustments to his setting in the middle of the tune much to George's dismay! still Brian is a GREAT PLAYER!!!

I will think of some others I have down in the music room and get back to you! :hyper: