1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Keith Richards disses electric bass in RS interview

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DCGuy, Jan 5, 2017.

1. DCGuy

DCGuy

Apr 12, 2016
    Washington DC, USA
    Keith Richards says the following in Rolling Stone in November:

Richards is convinced that rock lost its groove, its "roll," distancing itself from its African-American influences, with the advent of the electric bass some 60 years ago. "By the middle Sixties," he says, "you have the worst guitar player in the band playing bass. So he goes plunk-plunk-plunk, and that's a very European thing."

He also says Jimi Hendrix "ruined the guitar."

What's he talking about?

Link to the story: The Rolling Stones' New Blues: Inside Their Roots Revival, Bright Future

2. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    Well i think the first part is him saying that good bass players are undervalued in modern rock music.

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Remember, Keith Richards did a lot of drugs.

A LOT.

shoot-r, bassdude51, JeroB666 and 5 others like this.
  4. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I believe there's already a thread with a link to this article the day after it came out, which a lot of folks already posted in.

lz4005, lfmn16 and GregC like this.
  5. Keef is always right....about everything.

6. Keef says in his documentary surrounding his last solo album that he is a better bass player than he is a guitarist. He plays a mean electric bass on that documentary and disk, but, yeah, he is saying that boring bassists took the "roll" out of the music. He may be hard to understand given his advancing years, the drug abuse and the head injury, but there's no doubting his passion for and knowledge of blues based music. He knows what he's talking about.

7. What a coincidence! I don't give a sh*t for his electric guitar playing!

8. I'm sure the rantings of a 74 year old with years of hard living were taken out of context.
    That said, I have nothing but respect for for Keith.

9. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
  10. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    I'd be offended if this weren't coming from a member of one of the world's most overrated, boring rock bands...

Stefan Verbeeck and Marikk like this.
  11. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue Secretly Queen of the Moon Supporting Member

when I read that article the last time it was posted, it sounded a lot like he was mostly just saying the electric bass facilitated a movement away from shuffles and into more direct 4/4 stuff, and people kind of jumped at the chance to react as though he'd said it ruined music.

I wonder if it'll go down like that again.

--^@

Jhengsman likes this.
  12. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    "Ok Mr. Richards, time for your medication. I'm just going to wheel you over to the window for now. Would you like your sweater, Mr. Richards? For lunch today they're serving Cream of Wheat with Jello for dessert."

index.

bassdude51 and JeroB666 like this.
  13. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Perhaps...

To understand what he is saying, you have to put yourself back in the Stones' perspective, ca 1966 or so. You have to also understand that the Stones' first objective was to "appropriately" take off from the American based Blues tradition of the time; which meant copping some of the nuances coming out of places like the Chess Studios. For an example, give a careful listen to Willie Dixon's deceptively simple, but authoritatively driving bass part on Johnny B. Goode.

I take his statement to be a somewhat critical indictment regarding what Bill Wyman did or did not bring to what the Stones were doing at the time. And, he is, in a Keith way, somewhat overly general (surprise, surprise); which may seem to discount more legit British efforts, such as the material JPJ was producing at the time, or maybe a couple years later. I think it is just Keith reflecting some frustration with what they got done in that time frame vs what his vision was. That's all.

It does seem a pretty strong slam at Wyman, though. Whatever. I'm not a big Wyman fan, but, I know there are folks out there who did appreciate his efforts. I would more focus on his statement as meaning that their current efforts are intended to improve on what they were doing when they started. And, that's pretty cool.

I realize this is an older thread; but, I didn't see any other posts that really addressed your Q.

14. kartiste

kartiste

May 5, 2008
    "you have the worst guitar player in the band playing bass." That sparked a thought.The other day the lead singer and 2nd guitar in one of my projects - a really nice guy but kind of a mess - was, to his way of thinking, paying me a compliment by saying how impressed he was that I could play bass so well without ever having played guitar. What is it about guitar players that they think this way?

comatosedragon likes this.
  15. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Any Keith Richard questions?
    [​IMG]

16. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    With all the young musicians that have been lost over the last 3 years, how are this guy and his anachronistic opinions still alive?

PS: Apparently Bill Wyman and Darryl Jones can go F themselves according to Keith. Miss You totally has no groove. Riiiiiight.