Keith Roscoe does it again!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nonsqtr, May 19, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, here it is, my new fretless LG-3005. Spanish Cedar body, redwood top, diamondwood fingerboard, and little LEDs up and down the neck (you can kinda see them in the last pic). Oh and, this one has the diamondwood nut too, which is a really cool feature, and it has a little piece of bone sandwiched in there too. Plays like butter, sounds like a million bucks. Didn't cost me near that much though. :)
  2. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
  3. Good Gravy!! I'm always a sucker for a sweet looking redwood top! Awesome.
  4. Looks great, non. I'm sure it sounds just as nice.

I love my Roscoe fretless. It's got "THE tone."
  5. Very nice! I love Keith's basses. I just wish I could afford one... :bawl: ;)
  6. Absolutely gorgeous bass! Congrats.
  7. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Congrats dude :) I'm glad you managed to find your bass, LED's and all :D
  8. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Very nice! I continue to be impressed with each new Roscoe I see and/or come into contact with. I almost ordered a bass just like yours a few months ago (minus the LEDs), but I came across a couple of myrtle tops that I thought would make great basses. Glad to hear that you're happy with your new bass. :hyper:
  9. bkirk

bkirk Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Beautiful bass, nonsqtr! Love the LEDs.
    Fretless LG-3005 is at the absolute top of my GAS list.
  10. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, check eBay... Since this new bass is so awesome, my family's making me sell the old one, which is just as awesome except for no LEDs. Darn I wish I didn't have to do that, but they keep reminding me about a promise I made, something about downsizing (now there's a word I need to learn to eliminate from my vocabulary).

By the way, the LEDs were done by Sims, Keith sent the neck to England for a couple of months. They did a superb job, the LEDs are precisely positioned and there's no problem at all with battery drain, I left them on overnight and they were still going strong in the morning. Yes this bass has fantastic tone too, I may go hunting for some better strings though, those D'Addarios sound a little funny sometimes. I'm not sure how the batteries are wired, AFAIK there's still only two of them, so I'm not entirely sure how the LEDs are being powered.

Anyway, I'm open minded for string recommendations, do any of you have a favorite set for a Roscoe fretless?
  11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Sharp! I love the top. Try a set of SIT flats on it.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrads on your new axe :) . How do you like the Spanish Cedar?
  13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    congrats! gotta love the Roscoe fretless!!
  14. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I love the Spanish Cedar! It's a little more nasally and midrangey than the mahogany, it sounds great on a fretless. Also it's relatively light, which makes the bass a real pleasure to play. But, it's just heavy enough to come back into position after it's bounced around, which is a good thing. I really like Keith's design on this one, from an engineering standpoint it's a good set of compromises in terms of the functionality. And the preamp gives you enough flexibility around the midpoint that it turns into an eminently usable instrument. It's going into the studio next week, we'll see how it does in that environment.
  15. Beautiful! I'm partial to the redwood :)

I waltzed into a highbrow studio in the area and the engineer swore my Roscoe was the best sounding bass he's ever heard...and it's not like he just got started...he has gold records on the wall. Keith is a master.
  16. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Looks great! Beautiful top! I really like the diamondwood nut also. IMO it provides the same tonal characteristics for the open strings as the fingered notes. Also adds a real touch of class!
  17. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Beautiful bass, buddy. ;)

I got a quote for an SKB 5 from the guys at BCentral and I was totally surprised at how reasonable it was. I was going to supply the top which Keith was ok with. Unfortunately at that time I come to the realization that a 35" scale just doesn't work for me.

Those LEDs are way cool. I think they are powered by a little nuclear generator, maybe?? :)
  18. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I'm happy to say I'm ordering a cobalt blue SKB3006 from Jay at Blueberry Hill Bass. I know I've been a real penny pincher in the past but it was my wife's idea!!

She's a Wife's O.K. too. ;)

I think she feels guilty for refusing to let me buy a Harley. :D
  19. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    And she'll look remarkably like this. :smug: The bass, that is.....not the wife. :D