Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kelly Clarkson Single Tops Billboard Charts

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The queen of "American Idol" Kelly Clarkson has broken a record not achieved since The Beatles' single "I Want to hold Your Hand" leaped to the Billboard pop singles chart in 1964. Clarkson's single "A Moment Like This" leapfrogged from 54 last week to number one this week on the pop singles chart.

Now I gotta confess I cannot stand this song, but Clarkson sings it as well as anyone possibly could and she has grown tremendously in poise and charisma since her debut as a contestant on "American Idol."

Also I had serious doubts as to how marketable any eventual winner of this trumped up talent show would be, but Simon Cowels proved me wrong...very, very wrong... because he does seem to have discovered a genuinely bankable star. I mean if Kelly can turn that song into a number one hit, I certainly have to hand her my praise.

Now lets see what she can do with some other and hopefully better music when her full length CD comes out. I wish her every luck being as she seems to be a refreshingly likeable talent. I also hope she doesn't turn into a spoiled "diva."

2. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    remember one thing....

I think this is one of the few times where the whole cheesy thing worked. Kelly deserves what is coming to her, the girl has talent. You see the guy who one the UK one? Frigging terrible. Most of the time, this thing IS a looks and cheese contest. But I give Kelly props, not cause of the GAYS ASS TUNE THAT IS EVERYWHERE!!!! but she is a true talent.

3. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Smash, I got to say, people have been saying that since the friggin beatles, has anything changed? DO you really expect it will? I think there will always be pop stuff around. How many of you liked jazz at age 10-13. If you did, how many of you r friends, and altogether classmates at you school liked it to.

not saying I don't agree with you, I am saying there is a difference in what we think should be real, and what is.

4. you think so? i think he MADE a genuinely bankable star. i doubt she'd be selling so well if it wasn't for all the TV hoopla.

5. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    Kelly = manufactured pop star. American Idol was such a load of crap, it was a solo performer version of "Making the Band." If people are dumb enough to think these people are genuinely talented, I've lost respect for society...

6. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    OK, I understand the sentiment, but who here can sing better than Kelly, and let me hear it. I am calling bull**** on any of you saying that you can actually sing better than her. Once again, I think the whole concept is cheese, but I think they found talent with Kelly.

7. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    who buys this crap?? I have always thought that Billboard charts are faked anyway due to deals with labels, etc.

8. *raises hand* well, weather report is fusion.. but do they still count?

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Trust me on this, mmkay? Coming from a person whose album reached # 38 on the Hot 100 chart back in 1989 (details are not important! :p ), let me tell you that those Billboard spots are bought. How much a label spends determines how high an artist gets. Haven't you ever wondered how an artist can be # 7 one week and # 29 the next? That's because the label has decided that they've pushed that album enough, and has stopped spending money. It's 90% money and 10% worth, as far as Billboard mag is concerned. It's the same with with MTV's video countdown. THAT'S how Kelly was able to jump 54 spots. Let's see where she'll be a month from now. Her being # 1 doesn't mean that she's selling a crapload of records, it means that the label is spending some serious cash. BTW, I hope she's not waiting for a royalty check next year. It's like this here: when a label gives away about 10,000 CD's, they count that as sales. How? Somebody IS buying them.

Quiz time: Who do you think bought those 10,000 CD's?

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

err. Woodchuck? :D

j/k the artist of course. do I win anything?

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    A year's supply of Turtlewax!

12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Acoustic Jazz?

13. Get a dictionary and learn some new adjectives, pal. I think you lose all authority to make comments like this when you use words like "gay ass" to make a point.

14. Kelly Who? American Idol? top 40? seriously, I wouldn't have ever heard of this crap if it wasn't for Talkbass. I hardly watch TV and I never listen to 40. Infact I don't even know of one person who listens to Popular music ........ but I bet the same people who buy into this junk are the same people who form a line up days before a new movie release or a Sting concert...."The Mass Of The Great Unwashed" is what a friend calls um!

Fetch!

15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I need it, my car looks like crap right now.

16. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Point taken, but let me say that there are two points being made here. One is that Kelly clarkson may or may not have any talent. The other is how her song and career will fare in the pop scene and billboard sales and why.

My point was that Kelly is a very talented singer. I think there are some people who are refuting this based on the type of song she is singing, and I find that rather ignorant. I am not gullible enough to believe that the ones who makes it on these charts are not financially backed by a 'special interest' group either. I am just trying to say, that as trite and juvenile as this contest may have been, that actually some good came out of having a talented person win.

Now, could you understand that, or do you feel I should throw some SAT words in for looks?

17. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Ok, I can't.

But my wife sure as hell can. And she's got a gig. And medical.

18. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I can't speak for American Idol but over here, the first singles to be produced by 'Popstars' and 'Pop Idol' (The original British version of American Idol - had Simon Cowell too) went to number 1 and sold loads of copies (I think Hearsay's one broke some kind of record), *simply* because the nation had been watching them on TV for months, it's no indication that the records were any good. In fact, what has happened to Hearsay, they had a number one, a couple more singles, and appear to have disappeared down the crapper. I wouldn't be surprised if the same happens to Will Young & Gareth Gates (the 2 that were in the final of Pop Idol).

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes there is a big debate in the UK about how the charts have actaully changed for the worse in the last few years, due to the increase of Marketing -driven bands/artists.

So the situation is different in the UK, as we have one real chart and one chart show that is watched by anybody who is interested in this sort of music - "Top of the Pops".

Anyway - the director of Top of the Pops, famously complained in the last couple of weeks that all the chart music is crap - his words not mine!! ;)

He pointed to a very real difference, where artists of a few years ago like Wet Wet Wet and Brian Adams had singles in the charts for 20 weeks or more - now all the manufactured groups come in very quickly to No. 1 and then drop out of sight the next week or week after!

So whereas in the past people have actually bought singles because they liked the song and wanted to hear it - the evidence now seems to indicate that they buy records purely based on the Marketing campaign and if they have heard of the artist from TV , for example, they will buy the "product" based on the fact that this fits in with their "lifestyle" or image rather than because they like the song.

Hence, crap song - but as long as the Marketing is right, who cares? :(

20. Josh. I wasn't dissing Sting. I happen like and respect him...He was the first musician that came to mind at the moment. I was making a remark about consumers in general. and I remember hearing about how Sting fans stood in the pouring rain for 10 hours waiting to purchase tickets from Ticket Master at $135 a ticket..!...I do read the paper but not everyday, and occasionaly watch the news....The American Idol thing probably came up but was of no interest to me so it went right over my head....I live a life style that doesn't require being a consumption freak!