1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Kelly Groucutt

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JoelCMJ, Jan 12, 2012.

1. JoelCMJ

JoelCMJ

Mar 19, 2007
    South Wales
    Hey guys, I don't really see ELO as a band brought up in general on these forums so I thought I would mention Kelly.

Does anyone else think that he had some great basslines? I mean a lot of his stuff is quite simple but I've joined an ELO tribute band and have been studying his lines and they are really enjoyable to play in my opinion.

Shine A Little Love ELO - YouTube

Duckophile likes this.
  2. bassie12

bassie12

Aug 23, 2008
    When I was kid, I played in a band that tried to do ELO tunes. We sucked, but had fun. I would love to play in an ELO tribute band now! Such great songs and soundscapes!

3. Hamrhed

Hamrhed

Dec 26, 2007
    Ky
    Love ELO... particularly 'On the third day' lp. Kelly was a fine player for what Jeff Lynne wanted to do, and the early recordings with G were great stuff

4. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    Great band

5. wrench45us

wrench45us

Aug 26, 2011
    I've long contended that ELO/J Lynnne had more musical ideas per time unit than any other pop band in history.

On ething I've noticed about taking up bass is its given me another way to listen to music, so thanks I'll have to find and relisten to my ELO

6. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Try playing those lines while singing intricate, high harmony vocals :)

IMO, the ELO sound = Lynne's compositions + Richard Tandy's synths + Kelly's ultra high harmony vocals.

7. Yeah, I think of him as a bass player who played what was needed for the song, which usually wasn't all that much, and especially for his falsetto. He can make his voice sound like a soprano, and Jeff Lynn used that to great effect with all those Wagneresque choir arrangements.

8. Hamrhed

Hamrhed

Dec 26, 2007
    Ky
    Agreed, but a big part of that sound was Bev Bevan's drumming... man, that guy had a distinct sound and pounded his kit hard!

9. JoelCMJ

JoelCMJ

Mar 19, 2007
    South Wales
    Yeah I have to sing his parts with our tribute haha not easy at all :p

10. jeffwo

jeffwo

Feb 16, 2010
    Leesburg, Virginia
    Loved ELO growing up! I always wanted to be Kelly Groucutt!

His singing on Wild West Hero was always my favorite.

11. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Try finding your place in the mix when you have two 'cellos, and a keyboard stomping all over your parts.

Big fan of ELO (well, up until 'Discovery' and onwards). Kelly was great.

12. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    ELO was a big inspiration for me to pick up the bass. Kelly Groucutt, especially. I was actually kind of sad to learn that he passed away in 2009. His playing on everything from Face The Music on through ELO's later albums was pretty cool. But to think that he was doing that while also singing his ass off was even more impressive.

I actually had the opportunity to meet him after a show when he was touring with ELO Part II in the late 90's. Again, he really helped carry things both on bass and as a singer. And when I chatted with him briefly I was able to convey to Kelly that he was a really big inspiration for my beginnings as a bassist.

And if you're going to talk bass and ELO, you've got to include Mike de Albuquerque in the discussion. His playing on "Showdown" alone was pretty groovy.