1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kelly Rae Band, The Ranch+Anaheim Packing House 05/31/14

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassCliff, Jun 1, 2014.

1. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hello fellow bassists,

The Kelly Rae Band had a busy weekend. We worked Friday and Saturday nights at our favorite room, The Ranch in Anaheim. We also played for the grand opening of the historic Anaheim Packing House on Saturday afternoon. Let's see if I can put my pictures in some kind of chronological order.

Since The Ranch is backlined I just have to bring my instruments. I haul them into my office so as not to leave them in the hot So. Cal. sun all day. My office was kind of crowded on Friday since I've got a bunch of computers staged to roll out when the users are ready.

kZ1OPuxS9vuwvmXdQw8pn7Da0neoI3jQuk1KAIcRTX4=w800-h600-no.

I have to use an hour or two worth of vacation time to leave work a little early in order to load-in and souncheck at The Ranch. This is Art and Daniel getting set up.

dCx3_D2AVa3OzE-KAU1yQ9uzDTfiFKN6acir3hBLjog=w800-h600-no.

Sometimes loading in and setting up can be a delicate balancing act, as Jeff demonstrates.

ILlYD4O6HGi3x8zq0eW4dtQs7iWLTBMdZx6kGJ26Q9U=w800-h600-no.

While the guys are getting plugged in, I take a selfie in the green room mirror. I guess I look OK, for a bass player.

KRB-Ranch-PackingHouse+053114-004.

Here's a shot of the room from my mic before the doors open and the magic happens.

JqWOXjjZftNfx2cls9a4TDH3BK6AT2bfqW1V6uoKdCE=w800-h600-no.

And my weapons of mass performance for the evening.

X0ro07tYqbHt0kK7fQVx9uwJaBmGKLe06aD_YJCj8ro=w800-h600-no.

Now that we're all set up it's time for supper. The food is great at The Ranch. The sound man, Mark, joins Jeff, Daniel, Art, Mario, and I in the green room while we enjoy our meal and some pleasant company. Kelly got to the gig late since she hadn't been feeling well. But she made it through the entire weekend. She is such a pro.

KRB-Ranch-PackingHouse+053114-006.

We are about to take the stage. Andrew, the owner, is getting ready to announce the band while Art and Daniel tune up.

KRB-Ranch-PackingHouse+053114-010.

Mario is ready to rock!

PV2zaVLYyH7EXSYAk39ARg3Kta1ej3Hg7TxZoRzMZ9g=w800-h600-no.

The bass player looks like he's ready to muddle his way through another night.

uOk7fqIQNuQ7fhRWmikaw1iMHsrmfibSIW-Lzycq4mw=w800-h600-no.

I started with my Jazz Special (strung with Chrome flats) since we began with some vintage country. I later swapped over to my Carvin LB76.

Andrew announces the band and sings the first song with us. He's a really fun guy, not your typical club owner. That's Reed, security lead, on the dance floor with the camera. I'll grab his pictures later after he posts them.

KRB-Ranch-PackingHouse+053114-061.

This is Daniel's main fiddle. He made it himself, and plays it like a wild man. Daniel also used to tour with Trick Pony. He's a great asset to the band playing fiddle, mandolin, and the Tele. Daniel also sings harmonies and does all the whistling parts in those songs that call for it. He's a great whistler.

K8uoPgvCje69XKSzJDTuKdI8fvFtBUmG9dpW32wXjV4=w800-h600-no.

KRB-Ranch-PackingHouse+053114-014.

Since I've posted about our regular gig at The Ranch so much I'm trying to find new details about the place. The is the area just inside the stage door where we store all of our cases and dollies and stuff.

JWXaubkFi7UvK20JBfwT8Yiz6ujCJuEP_vKw--DuGZg=w800-h600-no.

Next time I'll take a few pictures of the "engine room" where Mark keeps all of the power amps, networking and lighting infrastructure. He calls the start-up procedure "turning on the warp drives".

Here's a shot of the line dancing crowd. The patrons there also like their two-steps, cha-chas, 10-steps, and other traditional country dances. It's fun to watch. It was a fun weekend.

KRB-Ranch-PackingHouse+053114-009.

Then we were up early again, a 10am load-in, for the grand opening of the Anaheim Packing House. It originally was a citrus packing house opened in 1919. It's been refurbished and turned into a fancy boutique food vendor court surrounded by a new park and shopping.

anaheim-packing-house-flyer.

KRB-Ranch-PackingHouse+053114-018.

This was our stage. Thankfully it was covered but when that third tent wall was closed we lost most of our breeze and it got a little warm. It also got a little loud. But we did our best to compensate.

bnMewYKQGeZ-TvR3krMTvsxb5o1hz5AeAECuO-rH1Iw=w800-h600-no.

Here's the stage with Farmer's Park and downtown Anaheim in the background.

KRB-Ranch-PackingHouse+053114-024.

This vintage Chevy pickup was parked in front of us and got filled with oranges to give away. I used to have a truck just about like this.

08fWxkhH1jUkcfeTn_M6xhlPsfM6LHhfG3akK2Avtcg=w800-h600-no.

That's 20 pictures. Our weekend will continue in the next post.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  2. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi!

Continuing with the first gig of our double this past Saturday, I brought my GK rig and only my LB76.

hJdfeScRObIaF4FjVZfh2ggqD7rZqHU6ZkU0Srtzn6I=w800-h600-no.

I also picked up a new microphone. I wanted something to make my voice sound bigger.

2Xbha4x2GXmCITDrBRF48ZxOQoceFNPqHfN3h_X_fBc=w800-h600-no.

I guess the band is just about ready to sound check.

s-oYXKyQ7_ME4KQYlp4K66BBmeMMDgBN51ihRfrHUes=w800-h600-no.

Kelly's husband, Jack, was running the sound for the stage today. There was also another band after us.

Gj6kXiZIf8MG9KevSr5N3zAVpjhkD1KvDFz7tZvf-lA=w800-h600-no.

This was his console. He used two sets of mains and took a line out from one Mackie to feed the other.

KRB-Ranch-PackingHouse+053114-027.

Daniel brought only half his rig to this gig but was still having a little trouble getting rid of a buzz. He did manage to get it worked out.

qdUsT0SGq6en4hzm7ykB2BNNUq3o7TfDyjEe-UhNAHk=w800-h600-no.

To be continued....

3. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I had to cut that last post short of 10 pictures, something glitched. Anyway, carrying on...we tend to goof off a little during our sound checks. Here's Jeff.

KRB-Ranch-PackingHouse+053114-036.

Art and Daniel.

5Lpi0r0OUuxuARfckDK2iz8Tgk8TFNhoh-4NJ3rcGlw=w800-h600-no.

Jeff helps Mario sound check the drums....

KRB-Ranch-PackingHouse+053114-043.

...while Mario poses with Kelly.

KRB-Ranch-PackingHouse+053114-042.

Here are a few action shots of the band and crowd.

KRB-Ranch-PackingHouse+053114-044.

Art, Daniel, and Mario.

4wI2DPWkT_lXwEg2VLKr9oNr38Qo0nXZ9bLudjJO1YM=w800-h600-no.

Daniel and Mario.

KzdGd3etB1-s_Kgz6SrWE7cGaHFrISkY5ZIBYjdH12Q=w800-h600-no.

Jeff on the keys.

4cRKVRurWEkCh9ZJy5I1JaOZK4-Dky2F-Ddc1slFtao=w800-h600-no.

And that bass player.

_Fm42U-D6HJpmT2Y1z320T01UuHX6evOAq801XNNPC4=w800-h600-no.

It was pretty crowded today. A LOT of people came out for the grand opening.

xU-5n7htiZQ5SjdZhMxo_G3lGRXiRpBhRHInTQ-CuIA=w800-h600-no.

Here are a couple of shots of the interior before the ribbon cutting ceremony.

0IW2VmMrgq0lg6FyVUipHycmEE9H3iE11r3sRHzqwC4=w800-h600-no.

KRB-Ranch-PackingHouse+053114-023.

We had a special friend stop by and pose with the band.

EQA9kFaOnH4RUNXdsLlhgMW_V7BKF4TJOD2u2vB9eWs=w800-h600-no.

There were hay rides for everyone.

7ecoBpLYyHxPSxoCgmdl4sbRu0cyt03KKJ1KS1wIpdQ=w800-h600-no.

Soon the fun was over and we had to strike the stage for the next band.

LMmBwDJsiEQbqN-i334yiOXxFyhdbEXDA0oIgX5Ab1w=w800-h600-no.

I should have stuck around to listen to them. The lady played an upright bass and they all used vintage gear. But I wanted to get to the club so I could take a nap.

This is what got me through the Saturday evening performance.

nlduZRsiH8ptGWg-plVlsfbkDCi_CEatsk941qhwKNg=w800-h600-no.

The dance instructor had the crowd hopping with a line dance lesson.

pbwCi01cwWGBwqGrD9E-dizvvgCEpZs9pnS4_YeFDxU=w800-h600-no.

Art, Kelly, and Daniel seemed pretty chipper after our long day.

pdqPtEbbjLJTqUIamnVd38L1qzTPm7knKIqY0rzS38c=w800-h600-no.

Jeff, not so much.

cYqiMP7kTs8nKc1g-xfXUNfzVpNNwEvusXcm5pDys1I=w800-h600-no.

Mario was in good spirits because he had lots of people there, including his girlfriend.

L5c7sgeJ0FzKYMu7uOreea3jDIE0YjZaDFI1Ufls1RE=w800-h600-no.

That's 20 pictures. Just a couple more in the next post.

BassCliff

4. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I was experimenting with the SVT Classic there in the back line. I used these settings this weekend and it worked great. I was able to hear myself fine on stage without getting in the way of the sound man's vibe. He didn't complain about my stage volume at all. Yay me! ;)

c8VAXjN1m12ccQZw2OaWG3FsFJiRQj-JAAM_x3f3z-4=w800-h600-no.

Note: the "Ultra Hi/Low" buttons were not pressed.

So after over-caffienating, then a few Fireballs to calm me down, the night finally ended and it was time to pack up.

KRB-Ranch-PackingHouse+053114-067.

Even after the lights come on, the young folks are still dancing until the music stops.

KRB-Ranch-PackingHouse+053114-069.

It was a really fun weekend. I hope if any of you are in So. Cal. sometime that you would stop by and check out this terrific venue, especially on the weekends when there is live music. The food and atmosphere is really top notch.

I hope your weekend gigs went well. Please share and break a leg!

BassCliff

StuartV likes this.
  5. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

OK, one more pic for now. This is the front of Farmers Park. It's surrounded by the "packing district" and is part of the downtown restoration project. It's a neat area. You see the stage tent there on the south side of the park next to The Packing House.

KRB-Ranch-PackingHouse+053114-025.

BassCliff

Perc44 likes this.
  6. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Great pics., thanks for sharing! Looks like a fun time

BassCliff likes this.
  7. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke

Jul 27, 2013
    NEPA
    Thats it!!! I'm moving to California. "They've got babes, and cars that don't rust!!!"

Another great show!! (or 3) Always love hearing about your endeavors!

KingKrabb likes this.
  8. jelly6466

jelly6466

Sep 28, 2010
    Mass.
    Can't start my week without Basscliff pics, always great. Is the load in at The Ranch right next to the stage? Looks like it in the picture of the "keyboard balancing act" pic.

TheOxRocks likes this.
  9. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi!

:D

Thank you! It took me most of Sunday to recover. I slept late and went to church Sunday night. But it was a fun weekend. I've known quite a few people who've come out to the Southwest to buy used cars. I've never seen salt on the roads, no need for it. If a vehicle gets stored too close to the beach for too long the salt air can have an effect. But generally the cars do last longer here than those farther north or in wetter climates.

You are too kind, sir. Yes, that stage door leads out to a ramp to the curb in the parking lot. It's a very easy load-in. There's an outside shot of the loading ramp in one of my previous gig reports. Everything about that place was done right. I'm sure you'd love working there.

Hey guys, thanks for looking at my little gig reports. Sometimes we do OK for a little local country cover band. I'd love to see more of everyone's gigs. Share the fun! :)

BassCliff

10. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    I believe that I read an article about the re-purposed packing house (bit of a train buff) some time ago, interesting history, and looks like a fun place to play.

12. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I found pictures for you. ;)

Yes, the door at stage left, where we store our cases.....

JWXaubkFi7UvK20JBfwT8Yiz6ujCJuEP_vKw--DuGZg=w800-h600-no.

...leads to this ramp from the parking lot.

KRB-Ranch-050314-006.

It's an easy load in and out.

BassCliff

13. jessicabass

jessicabass

Dec 22, 2009
    ohio
    Im so jealous of this guy....
    Hes living the dream.

14. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Ha! I'll bet someone has used those before. ;)

I enjoy your gig posts too! Keep up the good work!

BassCliff

15. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Thank you. But I'm just a weekend warrior who fell in with a good bunch of guys. We play some good gigs and have our fun. Our summer will be busy with a couple of Vegas trips and a lot of outdoor park concerts. Please feel free to share your gigs with us. I love getting to know other bands. Thanks for letting me share my fun with you.

BassCliff

16. We did a charity gig but it got rain out so no performance also no post in gig posts because we had no show well not all together true it started to pour during our second set figured I would share the folks who donated their time and money because they are good people upload_2014-6-2_17-5-9.

BassCliff likes this.
  17. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    BassCliff:

More pics of Kelly please! Less of her rag-tag group of backing musicians... Just kidding!

Great gig pics. You seem to be a pretty busy & hard working (and fun loving) band.

As always, thank you for your indulgence.

BassCliff and sparkyfender2 like this.
  18. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I really don't like country but I bet I would love your band.

You guys are the smiliest band I have ever seen!:D I love when bands look like they are genuinely having fun.

BassCliff likes this.
  19. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Thank you! Yes, we have our fun. So does Andrew, the owner of The Ranch. Here he is playing "air bass" while he sings a number with the band. :D

IMG_6950.

BassCliff

20. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

OK, Here's one more of Kelly from the weekend. Sorry, you'll have to put up with Daniel's ugly mug too. ;)

IMG_6941.

BassCliff