Ken Bebense basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fret-less Six, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Hey does anyone have any experience with Ken bebense basses? The carving on them is really really cool...If you have never seen them before you should check them out...I may have spelled his name wrong but if you do a search on yahoo you can find his site...He has this one bass that is just spectacular, its a signature bass for some guy named juan something or other...its really really nice
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    He's a perfectionist of the worst order. In that, he really spends ages on his instruments. The final product has never disappointed anyone(from what I understand) but the wait time is hideous. Apparently for every 12 basses he makes his customers always hate him until they get their bass.

A friend of mine has one on the backburner, but it's been way too long, he's about ready to pull out.
  3. Well I know the wait for Carl Thompson's stuff is like two years I thought that was much longer could it be?

4. more like 3-4 years for CT
  5. Tfunked

Dec 30, 2003
    I would like to let people know that Ken Bebensee screwed me out of my deposit ($1500) when I decided to stop the deal. He told me it would be 10 months and a year & a half later he still hadn't even started it yet.

Trying to get my money back was a never ending nightmare
    so I gave up and called it a loss. :scowl:
  6. niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    It's 30 months according to the website which was, surprisingly, updated relatively recently.
  7. I wonder why it takes so long for these luthiers to produce basses, I imagine it takes a few months to build an instrument, but you have to imagine if one works on a few different basses at the same time, one could probably get them finished around the same time...I could be wrong on this but I know fodera's usually take 10 months max...I think thats the wait time, and to me it seems that a CT is on par with a fodera, so how could a CT take 30 months and a Fodera a third of the time? By the way Tfunked, thank you for bringing that little experience of yours up, at least we have some idea of how he runs his customer service :scowl: that really sucks man, if I were you I would keep trying to get my money back no matter how much you have to fight, 1500 clams is no small matter, I think thats enough to warrant going to should take him to judge judy Im sure she would set him straight :) Plus all the TB's could watch you battle it out on T.V.
  8. I like your style. 1500 what a !!!!!!!!!!! man! Theres no way I'll look at his instruments the same again. GO judge Judy!
  9. well considering that when he (CT) supposedly retires this year, he will have enough back orders to keep him busy for a few years to come...he doesn't produce a large number of instruments a year. you never see him with a surplus, it's an order by order basis. where as fodera makes a steady amount of basses each year to be sold through distributors. it's just a different style of doing business and supply and demand- if there is a CT floating around some where, odds are people are going to jump all over it right away.
    just look at Nordstrand- his wait time is going up because he is becoming more popular and has many more orders coming in...who is a more popular bass builder than Carl?