SOLD Ken Bebensee fretted 6 - stunning....

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Mik Walker, Mar 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mik Walker

Mik Walker Supporting Member

Dec 26, 1999
    Price:
    Strings:
    Pinch me. Am I dreaming???

Never thought I'd find myself parting with this bass. I waited a decade or more, maybe two, dreaming of owning a Bebensee bass. Ken is such a cool guy and espouses so many right-on ideas and concepts that it seemed too good a thing to ever happen to me. While I never (yet) commissioned a build from Ken I was lucky enough to snag this used bass a few years back and have enjoyed being blown away by it ever since.

I have a major new project - possibly two - in the offing and so it's time to move this along to someone who will get the same magic rush from playing it and who will, I hope put in a lot more hours on it than I have.

Talk about form following function and playable works of art - that all comes together in this bass!!!

• Ken Bebensee 6 string bass:
    • 24 fret
    • 34" scale neck-thru
    • dual truss rods
    • 5-piece neck (wenge, purpleheart, birdseye maple)
    • ebony board
    • bone nut
    • Sperzel locking tuners
    • Chatke Kok body
    • with burl walnut top
    • oil and wax finish
    • handmade wood knobs
    • handmade bridge
    • handmade tailpiece (just look at it!!!!!),
    • Bartolini pickups
    • Bartolini 2-band preamp (blend, vol, bass +/-, treble +/-)
    • Carved/sculpted headstock
    • SKB case
    • 9 lbs 14 oz
    • Slim, fast, thin neck

This bass is in superb condition, almost no wear on the frets. Sounds enormous, sonorous, rich, defined.

Balances perfectly on a strap (no neck dive) and is very comfortable on the knee.

The top is multi figured burl/straight grain/semi flamed walnut with some small burl holes. When negotiating to purchase this bass I was told that there was a "small and a stable fissure between the bass and treble controls that looks like a crack, but is not". Filling these would be "unnatural"".
    Well, it looks a bit like a crack to me but it has not moved or expanded in the three-plus years I have owned the bass. Whatever it is it is virtually unnoticeable from a short distance away. There is also a hairline crack in the top of the walnut - again almost imperceptible and in the top facing only, not structural and not moving. (I was not told in advance about this second crack when buying the bass which, perhaps goes to show how subtle this is). I have used weird lighting angles to get these little imperfections to show in my photos but, seriously, you would barely notice them if at all if you didn't already know they were there.

My price includes insured shipping to the lower 48 contiguous US states and, while I am not looking for trades at this point - unless you have something uber-spectacular - I am open to offers.

Thanks for looking. Don't miss out on this rare opportunity to own a truly spectacular playable boutique work of art...!!

Mik

IMG_1779.JPG IMG_1774.JPG
    IMG_1778.JPG
    IMG_1791.JPG IMG_1792.JPG IMG_1793.JPG IMG_2753.JPG IMG_2755.JPG
    IMG_1783.JPG IMG_1790.JPG

2. ENDEENDEA

ENDEENDEA

Oct 3, 2011
    Hi,,,,What Is The String Spacing At The Bridge Please ?

3. fedenybass

fedenybass Supporting Member

The most aesthetically pleasing bass I’ve seen on fb in a while. Stunning!

Mik Walker likes this.
  4. Mik Walker

Dec 26, 1999
    Hi. Approx 16.5mm spacing at the bridge. Thanks for your interest!

5. Mik Walker

Dec 26, 1999
    Thanks! She is a bit of a looker, it's true...

6. Jabba the bass

Jabba the bass Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2015
    Why does this always happen after I’ve plunked down a load of cash on gear.... glwts!

Mik Walker likes this.
  7. Mik Walker

Dec 26, 1999
    Thanks. I guess gear-buying is the same as comedy and music..... All about timing! I am somewhat in the same boat- scrabbling around trying to get some funds together for something that probably won't work out..... I do appreciate the goodwill though! Cheers...

Jabba the bass likes this.
  8. raal

raal Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Minneapolis / St Paul
    Wow, never seen a fretboard extending past the truss rod adjustment wheels ... brilliant idea. Beautiful bass overall

Mik Walker likes this.
  9. Mik Walker

Dec 26, 1999
    Price drop - $4250 to $3925 shipped to the lower 48... Offers considered...

10. Mik Walker

Dec 26, 1999
    Deal pending.....

11. Mik Walker

Dec 26, 1999
    and traded!

12. mikeh66

mikeh66

Feb 4, 2013
    WOW! My man Ken!

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021