Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ken Bebensee???????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tfunked, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Tfunked

Tfunked

Dec 30, 2003
    Has anyone know if Ken Bebensee is still making basses?

2. Yes...but with a ridiculous lead time.

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Ken is still making basses. He's currently working on some new designs. Agreed, his lead time has become unusually lengthy. He's supposed to send me some progress pics of a bass I have on order with him, which I'll post if and when they arrive.

4. Tfunked

Tfunked

Dec 30, 2003
    Cool, keep us posted.
    How long have you been waiting so far?

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Holy crap!

"The average time frame for building instruments
    is currently 30 months. It takes longer for carvings, inlays and intricate custom work."

Ain't no bass worth 30+ months.

6. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    that guys website hasn't been updated since the ice age :meh:

always had a thing for this baby tough :D
    [​IMG]

7. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    I live about 45 minutes away from Ken and have been out to his shop before. As of 6 months ago he was still alive. I have been meaning to get a hold of him for a while now so if I do head out there again maybe he will let me snap a few shots of his latest projects.

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    30 months is absurd. but he makes an amazing bass. Very unique. I owned a Seraph for a while.

9. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I agree, but there are dozens of CT owners who don't seem to mind. Don't they take about twice that time?

Not to mention, haven't some DP Custom basses taken something like 24 months?

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ain't no bass worth 30 months.

11. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Dunno man, depends... from my typically limited funds standpoint, someone could actually use that time period as a "layaway" or "save up the money" thing, too...

Thing is, it doesn't really much matter, 'cause the reason it's like this is 'cause he already has "too many" customers, so I'm sure he's happy regardless of what we think. :)

12. Tfunked

Tfunked

Dec 30, 2003
    Have you had time to visit Ken yet?

13. Scott French

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    Nope, Sorry. :(

Hopefully soon, but most likely not before the end of October now that there are 100 different projects in the air.

14. Scott French

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    I received an email from Ken today out of the blue regarding his new apprenticeship program. On a hunch I checked his site and guess what?! For the first time in years it's updated and even redesigned.

http://www.kbguitars.com

15. Scott French

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    ... and it also looks like some of those pages aren't working yet so just pretend I didn't say anything...

16. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    It's a step in the right direction. Someone may need to learn a bit more about html and php first, though ;)

17. Bass Tranquil

Bass Tranquil

Nov 16, 2003
    Wow, $400 for a "road case"?

I would love to be that dude. With all the people in line willing to shell out that kind of chedda for his stuff, well, he must be raking it all in.

Then again... I'd love to build basses period. Man, he must be making some money!

18. Scott French

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    There are companies charging $500+ for gig bags so pricey road cases aren't much of a suprise to me.

If he is raking it in I don't know what the hell he is doing with it. Ken lives pretty humbly out in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE. I have yet to meet a building luthier living anywhere close to the standards of the people that can afford thier instruments.

19. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES

I have yet to meet a building luthier living anywhere close to the standards of the people that can afford thier instruments.

20. Bass Tranquil

Bass Tranquil

Nov 16, 2003
    Really? My main transportation is an almost 10 year old gig bag from Warwick. I have yet to lay eyes apon a $500 gig bag.

Well at least he has the business and is happy (another assumption and waiting to be proved wrong). I'd give anything short of my basses to just live off of making them.

Good luck Scot with the apprenticeship program. Lucky...