Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ken Bebensee

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stachio, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Just wondering if any of you guys have tried out one of these, along with thoughts, comments, etc.

I have yet to see one of these in person.

I was kind of surprised by how young Ken looks especially for such an established luthier.

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i'm pretty sure big wheel used to have one...he sold it though, iirc

3. Hi,
    I have corresponded at great length with "fivestring dan" (might give him a holler) about buying his Bebensee six string this fall. (It fell through as his previous buyer never returned it to him after a trial period...) Dan was extremely happy with the instrument and from all the pics I saw on Bebensee's site it was gorgeous.
    The downside is that Ken's waiting time is a usual minimum of 12 to 18 months.

He IS young, but the Tonight Show bassist owns a couple so I'd guess that's a good reference and Harmony Central voted his five string an award last year.

Ken is extremely easy to talk to and work with over the phone. I almost went with him but just couldn't wait that long. If I ever win the Lotto, and am willing to wait, he'll get my biz. He was so great to correspond with that I wrote him a nice email thanking him and telling him that I was sorry-I just needed something sooner.

If you do contact him, please tell him that I recommended him.

Good luck. Jim T.

4. Stachio

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I'm not sure I want to buy a KB (yet!) as I haven't tried one or heard much about them. I'm not sure about the price on half of his basses (I know it depends on the bass, but I not even sure of the range of prices). Plus I've got a fretless coming along...:D
    I was just curious because his basses are probably the most original I have ever seen...
    I would definitely like to try one though.
    And if a purchase does go down, you're name is getting mentioned Jim:)

5. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Hi. I had a Bebensee and thought it was one of the finest made instruments I've ever played on. I'll be happy to discuss anything I know about Ken and his instruments. You can email me or drop by the yahoo club.
    Thanks.
    fivestringdan@yahoo.com

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/kenbebenseeinstruments

p.s. Hey Jim. I know you love that Fodera!! Go ahead, say it. YOU LOVE IT!!! Sorry I haven't gotten back with you on the CD deal. My life has been very hectic latley.

6. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Sorry I wanted to show this picture

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]
    That bass is gorgeous! That's going to be saved in my little bass picture archive...

8. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Thanks...or thank Ken, and George Traviani. Ken makes great looking stuff. The sound was incredible!! I'm hoping to have him build a 5 string bass just like that one with a double cutaway. The Pickup covers and ramp were Ken's idea. I thought it was cool and it worked out great. You can see some more pictures at Ken's web site. Here is another link you can use.
    http://www.kbguitars.com/sch/d.html
    or
    wwwkbguitars.com

Look around at his work. It's fantastic!!

9. Stachio

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Nice bass!

You've got mail :)

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    dear lord...that bass really changed the way i see single cutaway basses...man, oh man....i was interested in getting a bebensee bass several years ago, but i was turned off by how long it took to get one. he is a _great_ guy to work with...i kinda regret not getting one. maybe some other day

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i've seen a few of his basses, and i find them very appealing. :) i also like kenneth lawrence's single cutaway instruments.

and of course the foderas :D

12. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    *homer voice on*

fodera.....yummy......oooooooooo...buckeye burl....................*droooooool*

homer off*

:D

adrian garcia and i were just discussing foderas....and our man, StErLiNgBaSsISt, or whatever that guys name was...hee hee

13. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
  14. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    by making it less than 15k!

15. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Yeah, Fodera's are expencive. No one over here could afford one of those models anyway. Most of their basses go to Japan. If I had the money...:eek:

16. Hi Dan!
    Been thinkiing of you. Yeah, just send me your mailing address again when you get the chance. I KNEW you'd be busy for a bit after your recent changes so I haven't been botherin' you until you were settled in, etc.

Yes, I admit it, I do like the Fodera. It's STILL heavier than a mother though but my weightlifting is paying off!
    Been doing a lot of sessions lately. The Mike Pope pre-amp can imitate just about anything!;)

I got lucky with an unexpected "windfall" or else that never would've come to pass! That bit of timing and my retiring and 50th birthday, all aligned so I couldn't say no! Well, I can always do like the man said and sell a car... ;) :mad:

I WILL always wonder about my "lost" KB opportunity. That gorgeous instrument still makes the occasional appearence in my dreams. :oops:

KB is reasonable about meeting your budget needs if he can. His instruments are definitely unique works of wood art, quite unlike the usual. I don't care for everything he's done but then again, it looks like he can do anything you'd ask for-in spades! :cool:
    Jim T.