Ken Lawrence 6 string cocobolo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by guybassman, Feb 13, 2003.

1. guybassman

Feb 8, 2003
    Hello guys , since i'm new new to this site this is my first posting. I recently bought a Ken Lawrence sixstring cocobolo (serial 0014) and i'm very pleased with this beautiful instrument.I have a question regarding neckrelief on sixstring basses. Is it common that the relief on the b-side is a little more than on the high c-side.I've tried to tweak the double trussrods but was unable to adjust.
    I'll attach a picture of the bass.
  2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Can't answer your question but welcome to TalkBass! :)
  3. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE

This is the early KL featured on Bunnybass!! Congrats man, this is one gorgeous instrument ;)

About the relief. Normally it should be the same on each side of the neck if the truss rods are propoerly adjusted. However, I've heard of some luthiers that build the neck to be slightly different (in relief) from side to side...Note sure if this is Kenneth's case but, if I were you I would drop im an e-mail or contact him by phone to ask :D

Peace, JP
  4. guybassman

Feb 8, 2003
    Thanks for reply , but does anybody know the emailaddress of Ken , because i searched the net and was unable to find a website of him.I would love to talk with him about this bass because it was his own.
  5. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Speek to Jon @ bunnybass, I'm sure he will get you in contact with Ken...

6. arcopizz

arcopizz Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Welcome to TalkBass! I've played 6's for the last 10 years, or so and have never seen the relief set for anything but even across the board. The Lawrence Basses are such customized instruments and MAY be set up that way. John DiMaggio at Bass Alone is a Lawrence rep and may be able to answer your questions. Enjoy that beauty of a Bass!
  7. jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    congrats! I just bought a KL too!! (dont actually have it yet tho...)
  8. niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    I'd probably contact Bunny Bass and see if they can get you in contact with Ken.

If not, I'd try getting in touch with the
    Luthiers Access Group and see if they can help. They sell his stuff and have a little website on him (which doesn't appear to have contact info, unfortunately).
  9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
  10. That Ken Lawrence with the figured walnut top is magnificient.
  11. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    welcome to talkbass!! OH, can I have your bass:D
  12. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Interesting history on that bass. Hope, for your sake, it doesn't carry any voodoo from when it was stolen from Ken.
  13. guybassman

Feb 8, 2003
    Thanks guys for all your comments , here's another picture of my KL6 next to a jaydee MK III in my home.
  14. guybassman

Feb 8, 2003
    sorry , i forgot to attach the picture.
  15. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    That is one sweet bass. I am not big on the pickup config..but thats cool..I would definantly play it.
  16. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    That's the purtiest KL I've seen.
  17. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    Can you comment on the sound you get with the two P pickup configuration?

How does it fit with different styles of music?
  18. guybassman

Feb 8, 2003
    Ye , it's a rather odd combination.You don't see much PP configurations.The sound however is awesome.The lows have very much fundamental.It seems as if there is a basdrum playing along.Very much attack.B string is very tight for a 34'' instrument.The highs are very bright and clear.Also it's very resonant and has a lot of sustain accousticely.I'm only missing one thing and that's a little bit more attack on the highs.You know this used to be Ken Lawrence's own instrument.It has solid cocobolo wings.
    Overall i think this bass has it's very own personality.I also own an alembic , jaydee , fender P usa 1981 , fender JB r' 75 MIJ and i think the KL6 outsounds them all.
  19. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Beautiful bass!:D

Regarding the setup: I've seen it both ways. One theory states that the lower strings need more room off the fretboard to vibrate than the higher strings, so some luthiers build in more relief on the bass side than on the treble side. Other luthiers believe that negatively impacts playability and that the extra relief on the bass side is unnecessary.

I personally think the lower strings SHOULD have more room. However, it's a question of how much...