Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ken Lawrence & Elrick Playing Ramps - Pics + Review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lokire, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Well, I got the ramps for my two basses today and I'm very, very happy with how they came out :hyper:

I ordered them from Rob Elrick about 2 weeks ago. Gaboon Ebony for the Ken Lawrence and Macassar Ebony for the Elrick. The Macassar Ebony piece is gorgeous!!! Really nice streaking. And I don't know what kind of a finish Rob uses on them, but they both feel super smooth and solid under my fingers.

These things really do improve the playability of my basses. Much more than I had expected. Especially on the Elrick because it has such thin pickups compared to the KL. For me, the best bass tones on these two basses come from playing right inbetween the pickups, and without the ramps there, it's hard not to dig in a bit too much there at times. Now it's way easier to articulate notes more prescisely and I play certain things a lot more cleanly and quickly because my fingers don't have to travel as far between each pluck.

The sizes were perfect as well. They could both be held in place without the adhesive, if you didn't push much on either end. If you're looking to have any ramps made, my advice for measuring out the size (which is what I did) is to cut out a piece of paper that's a little bigger, and then cut away little pieces untill it fits perfectly inbetween the pickups. Then measure the piece of paper. It's way easier and more accurate than trying to eyeball it with a ruler sitting on top of the pickups.

Anyways - enough of all that. Onto the pictures :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:cool:

2. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Sweet man!!! I may give that guy a call.

3. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Awesome!

I guess this means that mine are probably on their way also. I'm interested in how your technique will change, if any, adapting to the ramps. I tend to really dig in, especially when we "get into" songs... So, it will be a change for me using a lighter touch. But I guess there's a trade off. Dig in less, faster fingerwork!

:D

4. Well, you can still play harder and get a more agressive "dig in" kinda sound. It's just more controlled. That's how I see it anyways. I'm sure it'll be different for other people though, depending on your specific technique and setup.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

+1
    I have them installed on a couple of my Brubakers. Guess I should take some pics and put them in a related thread;)

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    How much do these things run?

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Awesome! And then there were four....Kori's will make the fifth Elrick singlecut with a ramp here on TB.

And once he gets his back, you can both send them to me. Right?

8. From Rob, they're about $50 each. Depending on wood availability and figure. Not bad at all. I was expecting to pay more when I first starting thinking about it.

9. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    the elrick ramp looks like a big piece of candy in there.

sweet

10. A big strip of chocolatey caramel :D

mmmm....caramel.....

11. Got a new (6mp) Camera yesterday :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:)

12. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Those are beautiful. I was thinking about ordering a ramp for my bass but wanted to make sure I was ordering for the right reason.

I'm thinking the ramp will help the string vibrate more parallel to the fret board resulting in less fret buzz & lower action. Is this correct? Is there anything else it does?

13. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Do you have a full shot of the Lawrence? ... thats a GREAT looking bass!

14. I was just gonna say that myself. That's a beauty!!

15. More parallel to the fretboard? I don't think the ramp would directly help with that. It does make you dig in less, so you can more easily play with a lighter touch. So in that sense, you could have the action a little lower. It's kinda hard to explain. If you go from playing inbetween the pickups (without a ramp) and then play over the pickups so your fingers hit the pickup when you play. It feels kinda like that only with a much bigger difference because the ramp is radiused like the fingerboard.

As far as full shots of the Ken Lawrence (still my #1, probably always will be :D ):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(prior to the Benavente pickups/pre)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't have too many good full shots. There's tons of pics of it scattered about my photobucket account though: http://photobucket.com/albums/v106/JasonFan/

I'm quite fond of this picture :cool:

[​IMG]

16. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Those pickup covers make the bass IMO. Thats what gave me the wows when I saw the photo above.

17. Yeah, they definatly made a big difference in the overal look of the bass (and tone too :D ). Thanks to the Benavente crew :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Jazzguy

Jazzguy Banned

May 3, 2004
    Are those held on by double stick tape?

19. Yeah - it's scotch doublestick foam tape.

20. What model KL is that?