Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ken Lawrence + Elrick Soundclip

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lokire, Sep 11, 2005.

1. So I finally got around to recording a decent soundclip of my new Elrick NJS-5. Check it out!!! :hyper:

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=630885&T=5207

The slap bass part is played on my Ken Lawrence and the solo part is played by my Elrick.

The solo part is improvised and...not great in places, but whatever :p

Let me know what you think :)

2. I love the riff! :D

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I've gotta say that I've yet to hear a bass with Benevente pickups and preamp that I've liked. The Elrick sounds really nice though.

4. Reeeeaaaalllly....that's interesting. Not even Benavente basses?

I haven't even seen any other non-benavente bass with their pickups/pre.

5. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I actually thought the slap tone was pretty good!

You didn't like my tone on the Low End jazz clips? LOL.

Will :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

6. That's not the usual tone I use either. I think I had the mids all the way cut and the highs all the way boosted on the pre. With the neck pickup solo'd or something close to that. Sounded good to me so I recorded it.

In my general comparison of the basses so far, I'd say that the KL has a much more flexible sound. With the active/passive switching and the coil taps for each pickup. But the Elrick does the classic, kinda modern Jazz tone perfectly. Sits real nice in the mix, when that kinda sound is called for.

7. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Lokire, here was my cut with the Benavente PU/pre. I think an alder/rosewood version of that bass would have been slamming for me.

http://www.thelowend.net/gallery/images/sound files/WillLEJ.mp3

8. *Downloading the clip*

What bass were they in?

9. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    White Low End Jazz, 5-string ash/maple. In the Used Basses part of thelowend.net

Will

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Man, you can still slap circles around me.......Great sound clip. Sounds better than most of the stuff out there today as far as I'm concerned.

I actually really like the tone you get on that clip. It's not my cup of tea but it's still great. The Bene sound is just too hyped for me is all. Obviously there are MANY people who disagree with me and that's cool. I like a dark tone myself.

Oh S**T! I just got to the groove part after your first solo Will!!!!! Can you say GROOVE???? :D Sounds like some hip Willis stuff in our own Will.

11. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Andy, I was just messing with you but thanks for the compliments.. Obviously it wasn't totally my tone or I would have kept it. I like a thicker 60's jazz tone, and that bass was definitely a Marcus/70's type instrument. Any words of encouragement coming from a great player like you are much, much appreciated.

12. Yeah, That sounds killer to me. I'd love to be able to get a tone like that (not to mention the playing :smug: ). I definatly want my next bass to have an Ash body. I love that growl :cool:

In fact, I hate to say it. But sometimes it makes me think of putting the Elrick up for Trade, trying something else until I find "The one" for me. Which, from all I've heard from Benavente/Low End, might be it. I dunno. I'm gonna give it a couple months and see how things work out before I make any decisions I might regret ;)

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ah, I just saw that you have a new clip of the week....I've gotta check it out!

Yeah, I like that thicker 60's jazz tone more myself as well. I have to say though, when it comes to slap I really love hearing a good solid ash/maple jazz bass, especially with a finished maple board. I also LOVE the spector sound that Doug Wimbish gets for slap. That's in my head a lot lately.

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I've gotta say that I don't think your Elrick will ever get a growly sound like that. It has the Aero's and the Demeter which are both for a very clean tone. Changing the pickups and the pre would do it but you still wouldn't get that scooped sound that you get from Ash.

Oh, and Will's old Lowend Jazz in that clip is for sale at the Lowend.

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hey, just thought of something. Before you do anything like sell that Elrick, you may want to talk to Carey Nordstrand about some pickups to replace the Aero's. Ask him about preamps as well.

16. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Great pickups (see my sig)

17. Exactly. The Elrick sounds awesome for Clean, softer music. It's perfectly clear and transparent sounding. Super sweet. And I've recorded basslines to 2 songs with it where it sounds perfect in the mix. But that's not the sound that I'm really after. I'm after that beefy growl.

I dunno if I'd really want to replace the pickups/pre though. It might get closer to that sound but without the right woods...I'm not sure if it would be really worth the trouble. It's got a great sound as is, maybe just not for me.

Anyways, like I said, I'm gonna wait a month or two and see how things work out first.

18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The good news is that if you do decide to sell the Elrick it won't take long to sell.

19. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Carey makes some really great stuff. I'd drop a set of Nordstrands into that Ken Lawrence. I'm sure it would sound amazing.

20. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    I liked both sounds alot.