Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ken Lawrence experiences?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adrian garcia, Oct 30, 2003.

1. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    I have been intrigued and attracted to his designs and hear they are exceptional basses. Any owner feedback on these?

2. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I have two similar Brases - fretted and fretless 5's. They are the most amazing basses I have ever played and with Bass Alone in town I have played almost every high-end bass you can think of!

When I started my KL addiction I was SERIOUSLY considering a MTD like Norm Stocktons but after lots of comparison I felt that the Brase was a more versatile bass. I play almost exclusivly fingerstyle but the slap sound is unbelievable- every bit as good as the MTD but more even.

Probably the next best thing is the ergonomics of the bass - the neck is wide and thin, which suits my hands and style better than the MTD neck - not by a lot, but noticably. In addition the balance of the bassis almost perfect and the bracing on the neck makes the bass REALLY alive. BTW, I have a hipshot d-tuner on both and the low A rings very clearly.

As a woodworker I really appreciate quality work and the only basses that I have seen that are as perfect in woodworking as the Ken Lawrences are Fodera. Ken just takes the time to make it perfect.

In addition to the Brases I have a Lakland 55-94 and a F-Bass BN-5 - both see MUCH less playing time than the Brases.

If you have specific questions, please let me know.

Dan K.

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    thanks for the feedback-
    i am looking to add then to the list of luthiers i work with-
    have spoken to him and we are trying to work something out- he sounds like greta guy and all the feedback i have heard is 100% pro-
    just looking for s much info as possible and to
    learn as much as i can- thanks again- peace, Adrian

4. klorence

klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    i had one too.

a "Sonority" model. Neck through. Amazing, refined, sweet sound. Un-attached horn, not like a Brase.

Exceptional woodworking (my father is a woodworker, and I appreciate fine craftsmanship).

Unfortunately, after a job layoff, I had to sell it.

If I could think of one gripe, it is that it was a bit on the heavy side, and after a 4 or 5-hour gig, my shoulder and neck were beat.

Other than that, can't think of anything but good things to say about Ken's basses and his work as a luthier.

5. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    I have a Unity it is just great...I really doubt you will ever hear anything bad said about KL basses.
    Dan, are Brases NeckThru?

6. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    i had a lawrence fretless 6 that absolutely ruled. one of those basses that just had THE vibe. you could tell the ken really puts his soul into these basses.

7. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

Actually, they are a set-neck and are glued in. Ken feels that that technique gives the best of the neck-through and bolt-on. I don't know about that, but I DO KNOW that I have never found a bass I like as well as the Brase - even with friends making comments about the "Easy-pour handles."

Dan K.

8. I had a Ken Lawrence 6 string fretless "Bumble Bee" bass, which I was forced to sell. Wish I still had it. Unbelievable bass.

9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Former owner...

Unity 6 string.. Excellent bass!!