Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ken Lawrence Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MyDogBo, Mar 9, 2004.

1. MyDogBo

MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    LA
    hmmm .. i've owned this ken lawrence fretless bass for a few months and been meaning to snap some pics and post them .. sorry .. my photo work isnt up to snuff but you can get a feel for this sweet bass ..

it has great tone .. a 100+ year old mahogany body with a cedar top dropped onto a beautifully chambered body .. it is very light (like 7-8 pound range) and extremely resonant.. ken's work in its entirety is impeccable .. even the body carving/chambering inside the bass is prrrfect!

it has a piezo and bassline pup and is very very versatile. it has an ebony bridge, board, nut, truss cover and ebony peghead facing that gives the illusion of fading into the eternity as your eye wanders up the board. the bridge is really a trip especially with the stylized tail piece.

the "b" string is terrific, the scale is 35".

i'm still adjusting without lines but the more i play the bass the less i have to look at my finger position .. it is sweet to play, my hand immediately falls into place on the neck and the body feels like your best honey hugging up against you.

enjoy.. ;)

2. What a killer fretless! Congrats, man.

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    That looks like a great bass!

4. MyDogBo

MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    LA
    thanks for the kind words you guys .. im extremely pleased i went ahead with ken on this .. he's a super guy and makes a killer chambered fretless .. plus i couldn't resist a pat wilkins burst finish! :D

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I played one a while back at LAG and was blown away! Ken is truly among the finest luthiers around!:D

6. What a KILLER bass. If it was a 6 string I'd take it right away.
    I still regret it that I had to sell my Ken Lawrence "Bumble Bee" 6 string fretless a couple of years a go. Unbelievable instrument.

7. MyDogBo

MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    LA
    yeah .. it would be difficult for me to top this one i think ..

it plays soo nice .. its immediately obvious that alot of thought and attention went into this ..

its really got me thinking about trying an ash body and maple board with maybe a bit of ken's fancy inlay work ..
    :help:

8. MyDogBo

MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    LA
    yes, you should have hung onto it! .. im definitely gonna keep mine .. this baby ranks way up on my scale of keepers .. :bassist:

9. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    That was a GREAT bass. Best piezo sound yet out of an electric.

10. Yep, but if you have or had financial difficulties, what can you do?

11. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    YIKES!

Ken's one of greats!!!

spoke with him at NAMM 2003. super friendly.

f

12. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

WOW, GREAT BASS!

I really like Ken's work and have 2 Brase 5's. I have NEVER played one of his basses that was not perfect.

I'll be selling one of my Brases in the near future (Ash body, myrtle top, east indian rosewood fretboard, Seymour Duncans and 3-band EQ) but will be buying another bass from him after that.

Dan K.

13. MyDogBo

MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    LA
    yeah .. the piezo works really really well .. the chambering
    is just the way to go imo ..

14. MyDogBo

MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    LA
    yup, i agree .. youll have another ..

15. MyDogBo

MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    LA
    thanks, dan, im a believer ..

16. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Hey - you owned that too?? So did I! If you ever want to re-acquire it, I know where it is... just let me know.

Man, that was one hell of a bass. I don't like fretless myself, but it was so nice that I almost kept it. Best sounding fretless EVER.

17. Vanselus;

If you know who has the Bumble Bee 6 string fretless, I would love to get in touch with the current owner. I loved that
    bass, recorded 2 albums with it.

I'd appreciate it a lot.

thanks in advance.

18. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    You have PM. Good luck!

19. thanks, Todd, I appreciate it.

:bassist: