Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ken Lawrence owners unite

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lokire, Nov 12, 2004.

1. I've been loving my new(ish) KL and now I'm really GASin' for a Brase. So show off your Ken Lawrence basses here.

Here's mine. A Unity 5-string with a nice Coco Bolo top :bassist:

2. Congratulations! I was in Club Bass in Toronto & tried some KLs (associate & brase) out, true high-end basses imo.

3. The one on the right is an Associate 5 string with Nordstrand NJ5's and an Aguilar OBP-3.
    [​IMG]

4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Former owner here.. Unity 6 string. Mahogany core with chechen top; Duncan pups and preamp.

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Wow... that looks beautiful. :cool:
    And congrats for that 6 months so far!

6. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    THANKS!!!!

:hyper:

7. Jazzguy

Jazzguy Banned

May 3, 2004
    Excuse me, I've got gas!

8. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

9. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I hate to ask cause I know it's more than I can afford, but how much are you asking for the Brase? Those are some DAMN nice basses. Probably at the top of my all time GAS list, short of running across a 5 string fretted chamberbrase...

10. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I picked this up on ebay recently, very nice bass but I can't decide if I'm going to keep it or not. Great build quality (of course) and the electronics sound good but I'd prefer a simple passive arrangement.

[​IMG]

11. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    I am considering ordering a KL (over a Nordstrand or Benavente).

What are the differences between the a Brase and a Unity with all things (woods, pick-ups) equal?

If YOU were to order another bass from Ken, what would you get and why?

Thanxs,
    Sam

12. I think besides body shape, the electronics are different? I usually see an extra switch on the Brase. Plus the unity is bolt on and the brase is neck-through.

I would get a Brase if I were to order one from Ken. I love that body style most out of all his stuff. I found a really good deal on mine though so I can't complain :D

13. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    AFAIK Any of the three can make a bass to your specs. I don't think any of them have a set brand of pups or preamps they use, just whatever the customer wants.

14. Definatly - any of the three would make you an awesome instrument

15. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    I’m sorry to have convoluted my question by bringing other builders. My question was purely based on trying to get a feel from the KL owners “post honeymoon”. If you ordered another one today;

Would you go bolt on for more punch?

Would you go with alder with the SD soaps for more tonal balance, OR go with Ken’s new pick-ups on mahogany?

What, in your opinion, is IT for KL.

Yes, I do realize Ken is a custom builder. Yes, I do realize that the Brase is neck-through and MOST Unity’s are bolt on. I personally believe you go to a custom builder for more than aesthetics. ;)

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    What I'm curious to know is why'd you keep the fretless over the fretted since you had the fretless re-fretted? They look pretty similar, other than the fretted have a ramp, oil finish, and different fingerboard wood.

17. I've had my Associate for a pretty good while now (relatively speaking, of course), and instead of the ash body on mine, I'd get the alder center block with ash wings; I guess it'd really be a Unity. This wood combination is on my Tyler and I think it brings out the mids. I'm not a big fan of the Duncan stuff (too compressed), but am extremely happy with the Nordstrand NJ5/Aguilar OBP-3 combo that's on my bass now. I'd definitely like to hear what Ken's using now, though.

And I also think he needs a web site!

18. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I'm keeping the gloss one because my wife bought it for me! Both are FANTASTIC basses and both are keepers - subtle sonic differences between the two (the matte finish has a tone block and a rosewood board vs no tone block and a chechen board) but I could happily keep either. The guy buying the other is getting a GREAT bass.

If I had my Brase stolen I would order the same bass again - with a wilder top - some kind of burl myrtle. That being said, the Brase is my main bass (over a MTD 535 and a Lakland 55-94) because it is so easy to get differnt tones out of the bass and it plays better than any other I have played. The neck is a very thin, flat "U" shape and is very comfortable to play on - I find myself being able to pull off licks better with the Brase than my others. In addition, the string to string tone and balance is wonderful. On the MTD and the Lakland (and the F-Bass, Zon, and Acacia I had) there is a distinct difference in tone as you cross strings - NOT THERE ON THE Brase!

In addition, the sound is HUGE! No dead spots, no wolf tones, and you get out of it what you put into it. If you want to have a very legato sound, you can get it. If you want the "burpy" jazz bridge pickup emphasis sound you can get it. This is really an instrument that you can use in all types of venues and styles. I'm not a slapper but I have heard great slappers rave about my bass. I almost had to pull a knife on one to get my bass back (VBG!).

I guess the best summary came from tj hill - you can buy a lot of basses and get almost what you want or you can spend the $$ and get exactly what you want. I don't see myself EVER getting rid of the Brase. I've been lucky enough to be able to buy some nice basses - the Brase has the best "bang for the buck" of them all.

Dan K.