1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Ken Lawrence Unity 6-string 1999

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by ad9000, Dec 29, 2016.

1. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    Price:
    Strings:
    I'm reluctantly letting go of this fine instrument. I'd keep it, but I need to generate some cash and I’m not playing that much 6-string these days. It's a great playing and great sounding bass, as you'd expect from Ken Lawrence, and it's in nice condition for a consistently used 17-year old instrument.

The previous owner had Bartolini pickups and electronics installed in place of the original Seymour Duncans (details in the specs below). Having played other Lawrence basses with the Duncans, in my opinion the Bartolinis are an improvement - significantly more punchy, present and clear. I do not have the original pickups and electronics.

The previous owner also installed a Hipshot bridge with locking brass saddles, replacing the original (unknown branded) bridge. I never put the original bridge on, so I can't speak to the difference there, but I really like the Hipshot. I have the original bridge and will include it.

The frets are in very good shape. It looks like they have been crowned at some point, but there is plenty of height left. The closeup pic of the fingerboard shows the region with the most visible wear, which is around the 3rd to 6th frets. Whatever fret wear there is is not significant enough to affect setup or create any noticeable buzzing. The neck profile is a very comfortable shallow U-shape which gets flatter as you go up the neck.

There is some light wear on various areas of the body, including some superficial pick scratches, a wear mark in the wood adjacent to the neck pickup (shown) and miscellaneous (mostly tiny) dents and dings that are primarily on the edges. If you wanted to make it look perfect, a luthier who has experience with this could probably steam out the dents (Ken refers to this in the care instruction sheet, which I will include). Pictured are the ones that were sizable enough to be captured with my camera.

Specs:

35" scale, 24 frets
    Weight: 10 lbs, 1 oz
    Woods: walnut top, ash wings, maple center block/neck, wenge strips, maple fingerboard, wenge control cavity plate
    Brass nut
    Neck width: 2 1/8" at nut, 3 3/4" at heel
    String spacing at bridge: 19mm
    Pickups: Bartolini Quad Coil P4's
    Preamp: Bartolini NTMB + F (with adjustable trim pot)
    Currently wired as an 18v system (9v x2)
    Controls: Vol (pull passive), treble, mid, bass (all cut and boost), pickup blend, mid select switch (selectable mid frequencies: 250, 500 and 800Hz), The second switch is a non-functional dummy (there was an additional switch with the original electronics which is not needed with the Bartolini pre)
    Black Dunlop Straplocks
    Strings: DR Hi-Beams .30 - .125

The bass will ship in its original semi-hardshell cordura case.
    Sorry for the long-winded description, and please feel free to start a conversation if you have any questions.
    I’m not interested in any trades right now.

$2850 shipped within the continental US

IMG_3572.

IMG_3576_1.

More photos here:

Kenneth Lawrence Unity 6-string Slideshow by Alan Deremo

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  2. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    very nice!

3. ad9000