Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ken Lawrence

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris J, Apr 17, 2005.

1. After searching the forums I've found extremely little on Ken Lawrence's basses. If I'm not mistaken he intentionally doesn't have a website so that he can keep his orders low and quality high. So why not start a little collection of pics of his basses right here? I'll get this thing started with my fav. Ken's personal bass I believe.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. I think it's either 1 or 2 pickups but the reason it looks so big is there's a playing ramp that's been added. Come on there's got to be more pics than this.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It looks like an MM and a regular soapbar in a swimming pool route. I love that look.

4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I used to own that one, GREAT bass, I miss it.
    Too bad it was not a 5er

Attached Files:

• KL.JPG
      KL.JPG
      File size:
      30.4 KB
      Views:
  5. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    ...waits for Jean Baudin to step into the room...

6. Bah Jean doesn't count. He already well on his way to getting his own megathread! :spit: That really is quite the beast he's having built though.

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
  8. Some very nice looking specimens over at that site you gave me, Brian. It's too bad Ken's instruments are so hard to come by, I'd love to try one out.

9. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I spent some time talking with Ken at NAMM, what a great guy! I think he said that he builds about 20 basses per year on average.

That Associate 6 used to be hanging in my local GC, and was my inspiration for getting up to speed on 6 strings. I went in to get it, and it had been sent to another store. I could have asked to have it sent back, but I just have fond memories....

10. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
  11. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Ken Builds a nice bass forsure, I've got a brase In/just sold and he does great work.

Check out the Joust bass that Jean has, WOW. It has its own thread going.

12. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
  13. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

Ken Lawrence builds WONDERFUL basses - I have had two Brases and still have one that is my main instrument. I would HIGHLY recommend Bass Alone if you are looking for a KL, John usually has at least a couple of them.

I think the thing I like the best about Ken's instruments is the transparency of the sound. You *really* have to work to get an unusable sound out of them. Also, the playability is off the scale for them - the only thing close is the MTD's.

Anyway, here are my Brases-
    My KEEPER:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BTW, the reason this is my keeper is that my wife bought it for me - the other was just as nice! I've NEVER played one of Ken's basses that was not superb.
    My other one is on the right:
    [​IMG]

Now, what I'd REALLY like to get is a C-Brase 5 fretless with a cocobolo top!

Dan K.

14. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    that's what im getting

body B

[​IMG]

15. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    Thanks Brian.

Ken builds a great instrument... I have some pics of other basses that aren't online, but I better check with Ken before posting them.

Here's an alternate pic of Joust before the neck/fretboard went on.

[​IMG]

16. Well if it's ok with you and Ken I hope you post those pics!

17. At NAMM he said he'd be getting a web site this year. Who knows? I've got a blue KL 5 five string that i treasure dearly.

18. Any pics?

19. I'd like to see pics if you got them. It just occured to me that if your's in the blue one with ,aple board and maple pup covers then I think I have that pic saved on my HD.