1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Ken Smith 1998 BSRJ 5 string w/original case $1700 Shipped!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by dave79, Aug 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish Supporting Member

FS only

Got this somewhat reluctantly from a friend since he needed rent money. It's a killer sounding/playing bass and I've seen it used on gigs with Corey Harris's guitar player and Bruce Hornsby's guitar player and a ton of other top notch musicians. I also know the previous owner before my friend and it has been in great hands.
    Anyway, went over it on the phone with Ken Smith, the pickups are Bartolinis and not original and neither are the output jack or Dunlop strap locks. It's missing one cavity screw out of 5 and the bottom latch is broken on the case. Aside from that it is in fine used condition, NOT MINT, but looks great. A little bit of thumb wear into the wood that you can more feel than see.
    Preamp is push/pull act/pass, pup pan, bass, treb, mid. 9V
    Strings are a bit old but are some weird coated black type and still sound decent, what are these? It's ready to gig NOW, especially after I gave the rod a little tweak.

$1700 Shipped takes it

3-98KenSMithBSRJ5002.
    3-98KenSMithBSRJ5003.
    3-98KenSMithBSRJ5005.
    3-98KenSMithBSRJ5004.
    3-98KenSMithBSRJ5008.
    3-98KenSMithBSRJ5007.
    3-98KenSMithBSRJ5006.
    3-98KenSMithBSRJ5001.

2. dave79

let's say $1700 shipped to the West Coast and descending in price from there until it is $1640 for local pickup. Shipping to Canada is $1750. Most other places in the world $1800.

3. herrdruhl

herrdruhl Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2007
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    DR Black Beauties?

4. dave79

Looks like that's it. They still sound good but have lost the coating where they hit the frets.

5. Jecodia

Jecodia

Jan 3, 2012
    That's real nice.....

6. dave79

Plays beautifully, never had a problem with a Smith though

7. emblymouse

emblymouse Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Dave, for us Smith noobs, what does the neck measure at the nut and 12th fret? Is this a flattish or more rounded feeling neck?

8. dave79

Man, I played a Smith 5 for years exclusively but I can't answer those questions off the top of my head. The neck is definitely off to the flat side though.

9. dave79

It weighs 9.2lbs according to three weighs on my bathroom scale. The nut is 1 3/4" as the website states, 12th fret looks like 2 1/2", and although the website goes with 3" for the 24th fret I found it slightly under that. I'm firm on the price since I just played it for half an hour and think I'll gig with it tonight.

10. David A. Egeler

David A. Egeler

Aug 4, 2008
    You have a PM.

11. dave79

Please respect the For Sale only aspect of this thread and don't send me trade requests, I don't have the time to respond to them anymore (this isn't in response to daegeler's PM).

12. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    Nice Smif, GLWS

13. dave79

headed back to the USA bump

14. .:Aidan:.

.:Aidan:.

Jul 22, 2008
    Does anyone know whether/where it's possible to get buy ken smith J pick-ups? If I went for this I'd want to replace the pick-ups with the originals.

15. dave79

Just call them, #'s on the website. These pickups sound better than any J pickups with the Smith brand I've heard, you'd probably want to switch them back afterwards.

16. dave79

SOLD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.