Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ken Smith 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeff Haley, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I played a Ken Smith 5, with a maple neck, Bolt-on and it was excellent. The action and tone was top notch. These are high quaility basses.

2. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    Yes they are.

I've got a neck thru 5 for sale. Check out the post in classifieds.

3. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Better yet, you buy my bolt-on and I'll buy VJP's neck-through. ;)

[​IMG]

4. A couple years ago when The GC at North Druid Hills had a bunch of high end basses (Fodera, Smith, Zon, Pedulla), I played all the fives they had in stock. The one that really spoke to me both in terms of feel and sound was a Smith bolt-on. I didn't buy that one, but I've got something in the works now. ;)

5. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Did you play a KS neck-through?

6. Not a 5, they didn't have any in stock when I was looking. They did have a 4 neckthrough and since I liked the 5 so much, I played it a bit even though I wasn't looking for a 4.

That bass (I believe it was a BSR4 elite, very lightweight, must of had a mahogany core) was the sweetest bass I've ever played. People talk about instruments that speak to them, this one looked up and said "Take me home, Daddy". It still haunts me. But as I said, I wasn't looking for a 4 at that point and it was really beyond my price range. I've since aquired a Rick Turner Ren that has gone a long way towards easing the ache of the one that got away. :D

7. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I know the feeling. What were the front and back laminates?

8. Don't really remember, they were light colored, Maple or Avodire. I don't think there was a heavy figure (or quilt) in the wood, but it was the feel that grabbed me, so I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention to details.

9. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    That is a beauty. How much? You can e-mail me with a price.

10. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I emailed you a price. This Smith bass is in the 4-sale forum. If VJP sells for less, I can do the same...;)

[​IMG]