Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

KEN SMITH 7 STRING BASS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Can anyone here who has played this bass PLEASE givce soem insite as to the overall playability, comfort fo this. I am saving up for my next KS, Thinking about going 7 string, your help would be appreciated :cool:

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I've never played a KS 7, but I owned a 6 for a little while. I'm a fan of narrower string spacing (17.5mm), and thin necks, so take this as you may: it was a bit of a beast. Neck was wiiide (and this is just 18mm spacing - it felt like a big difference to me), and thick. Heavy, though not as heavy as my Hanewinckel 6. Balance not as good as my Hw 6 either. Hanging the strap, despite the weight disadvantage, the Hw was "more comfortable". Playing it, the Hw was "a lot more comfortable".

Whether or not this does you any good, I don't know. :cool: That's just the result of my body + my tastes + a KS bass.

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
  4. I own a 4 string KS and have played various 5s and 6s never a KS 7. They were all excellent basses and if you like the sound and feel of them you cannot go far wrong.

I also own a 7 string fretless Sei bass and it has a 17.5mm string spacing. This is the same spacing as mentioned by Geshel and is very comfortable for me to play. The 7 string which I absolutely love is my main bass.

The main problem with getting a 7 string is that you often cannot try one before you but as most [but not all] are custom orders - conklin excepted. This means you have to take a leap of faith and decide in your own mind you really want one and go for it.

Maybe you can try a conklin GT to see if you like playing a 7 string before going any further.

Good luck with your search.

Matthew

5. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    You know, I have actually played a Conklin 7 and a Warrior 7, the Warrior 7 felt very natural and easy to play, the Conklin did not seem to be to tough from what I can remember, I really like the one Ken is selling on ebay.
    I MUST CONTINUE TO SAVE!!
    :bawl: :bawl:

BTW, does anyone have a Smith with BUBINGA or COCOBOLO? seems like the darker woods gives off a darker tone and heavier bottom, is this true???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=3729180985&rd=1&tc=photo

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i've played 7's exclusively for the past 11 years, but i like a more narrow spacing than what is standard amongst many builders since i have pretty small hands. that being said, although ken's spacing was wider than what i would choose, his 7 string instruments that i have played - 3 or 4 different ones at various namm shows - all felt a lot more comfortable to me than i would've imagined, given how wide the spacing is compared to what i favor on my basses.

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I played one of Ken's sevens at the 02 Namm in Anaheim. It was a joy--comfortable, balanced and sounded great. Pricey, yes. But if the wider string spacing is not a problem for you, I doubt you could do better. I own a BSR6 GN that I've kept for several years and probably wouldn't part with it. Ken's basses are exceptional in just about every way.

8. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Hey JT, What is the string Spacing you prefer on your HUGE basses anyways?

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i go for a j-bass-comparable spacing at the nut, and a 17 mm spacing at the bridge (i think). not certain on the bridge spacing. check out a bill dickens groove tools bass. that's the spacing on all my customs.