Ken Smith (and all others of course)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by KenToby, Jan 27, 2004.

1. KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    I've seen threads asking about the use of Elm as a body wood however since you, Ken Smith are known to be passionate about wood, what is your take on Elm as a body wood?
    I really like what OLP is doing with it.

Thanks in advance for the reply
  2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I have no intention of using Elm or any other non-proven acoustical woods at this time or in the near future.
    My choices include tone woods that have proven themselves over time and centuries past as well as similar previously un-discovered acoustical exotics with similar properties.
    I currently have ample stocks as well as immediate sources for all the woods that we use.
    For more on my favorite choices, see my website as well as my wood pages here;
  3. KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    Ken, I appreciate your getting back to me. Having visited your site more times than I can remember, I'm aware that you don't use elm - that' cool. I posed the question to you in particular because after reading that you are very knowledgable in the uses of many different types wood, I made a reasonable assumtion that your research and development department may have done some research in the use of Elm. I guess my quest for a concrete answer continues...

Thanks Ken,