Ken Smith? Anyone? Highest Tension 30" scale short scale strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jim T., Jun 16, 2005.

1. I'm having a 30" short scale SIX string bass built, hopefully with a low B that'll work fairly well. (I'll go with EADGCF if I have to.)

I'd like recommendations for the highest tension/stiffest 30" scale string sets available. I'm figuring hex cores will be needed? I'd also like to consider stainless.

My specific request to Ken is a recommendation for a low B string that might suit my purposes. We're trying to make this bass so that a standard 34" low B string can be used without much cutting.

If you have time, I'd appreciate your advice!

Please everyone-no diatribes about a short scale low B and the physics involved with scale length/tension-I'm hip to all of that! ;) :D
  2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    STrings are measure from the ball to the silk, not the scale length.

Good luck with your short scale Bass. I can't answer your question as I have no experience with shorter low Bs.
  3. Right, I understand about the string lengths but I am trying to find a brand of /set of short scale EADG strings that I can use regularly and get a stiff(ish) string tension at short scale.

Thanks Ken. I thought that perhaps you'd hob-knobbed with some other short scale luthiers/experimenters who may have spoken with you about their project...

If things go well, I'll be able to try losts of different Bs. and Cs. but the "core" set/brand will need to be constant.

I guess my other question is finding a low B that I can cut shorter if I need to (if the bass design/idea doesn't work out that will go well with whatever four string short scale set that is recommended to me.

La Bella stainless roundwounds seem to be one option. Anyone used their short scale sets?

Thanks for your help.