1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ken Smith B991653CM5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CDamianBass, May 14, 2018.

1. CDamianBass

CDamianBass Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2015
    hello guys I really need some help from all Ken Smith Followers, I recently got this Ken Smith and I don't know if is USA or Japan made some friends said is a burner other say is not, I really would like to know anything about it, if somebody could help me I really appreciate it , the Bass has the HAZLAB preamp and is from 1999 the trussed cover says BSRB as you can see on the photos, thanks in advance,

Attached Files:

2. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    It is a Burner. The USA made basses just have an S on the headstock. The Burner basses have Ken Smith on the HS. Great bass by the way.

CDamianBass likes this.
  3. CDamianBass

Mar 7, 2015
    thanks so much

4. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    This is going to be a bit vague because I've sort of forgotten the details, but once I read an article somewhere that Burner basses like yours came in two levels: A lesser version and a better version. You could tell the "better" version because it had more laminates in the neck which in yours is visible as TWO stripes down the back. So as far as I know it is a Burner, but the BEST kind of burner to have.

CDamianBass likes this.
  5. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
  6. CDamianBass

Mar 7, 2015
  7. CDamianBass

Mar 7, 2015
    thanks for the info :) I'm glad I have a good one,it honestly sounds amazing

8. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Yes, this refers to what I was talking about. My Ken Smith is a 6 string Burner but the "deluxe" with the 5 piece neck. I have to say that I don't play the KS much, but when I do I'm always totally amazed at how great a bass it is!

CDamianBass likes this.
  9. Ronen

Ronen

Feb 9, 2003
    Milky Way Galaxy
    Your serial:
    B refers to BSRB model (as opposed to the earlier Burner model)
    99 is 1999
    bass number 1653
    CM5 is Custom (model level), Maple, 5 string

Let me know if you want to sell it...

CDamianBass likes this.
  10. CDamianBass

Mar 7, 2015
    nice!!! great info thanks