Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ken Smith Bass Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JRBrown, Sep 12, 2002.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Bought a Ken Smith bass. Went to buy strings. Ken Smith only sells steel taper strings. I need Nickle with taper on all strings. SR-2000's have exposed core on all strings, but I want taper. The bass in a long 35" scale. See Pic.

What's the sound and strenght difference between exposed and taper?

2. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Thanks. I called to order strings today. The person I talked to was not aware of the strings.

3. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    JRBrown, Dean Markley SR2000 are taperwound, not exposed core. Also, they are stainless steel. There aren't too many companies that make taperwound nickels. SIT makes a set and of couse, Ken Smith.

4. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Thanks.

5. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Great, thanks for the info, Ken. :)

I have a set of 5er Ken Smith Tapercores on my 5 fretted. The tone for the first few weeks was nothing short of incredible. The slap and pop tone was just out of this world. Great clackity and metallic sound, just what you'd want in the slapping tone department. Then they broke in a bit, and now have a general great overall tone. It works well with slap now, but its a bit more subdued. Yet the strings sound better with most songs I play now as the true mellow bassy features have floated to the surface.

Good strings.

6. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    BigJohn,

Which strings are you using? Specifics.