Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ken Smith Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Razor, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Ok, a little help from all you Ken Smith fans. I know little about these instruments due to not being my particular style/price range. Every KS bass I have seen is pretty expensive and when I went into a local pawn shop I was a bit shocked. I found an older P Bass which was all black, black pickguard, passive tone/volume knobs which were black and it looked like a one piece maple neck/board. It was very similar to the 70's series Fender P basses. The headstock said "Ken Smith" and the model # was something like CB4 or CR4...I should have written it down, and will go back to do so. My astonishment was this bass had a sticker for about 150 bucks. The neck/headstock...along with the entire bass looks like an older P bass....nothing like the new(er) line of KS basses. My first thought was that this is a KS neck but El Cheapo body...do any of you remember the KS line having P bass styles? If it is a true KS I might have to grab it for the price but I will go back and snap a few pic's and also get the model # and serial # from the headstock.

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Ken would be interested in seeing this.

3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    This was done with Alembic quite a bit. Its a scam to get money out of the pawn shop. Since they rely on a Blue Book and have no idea about instrument's its very easy to pull this off. I would have figured by now the pawn shop's would have wised up since its been done for about 3 years now. Alteast thats when I first started hearing about it and seeing.