Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Sep 1, 2003.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    I have noticed for quite some time now that Ken Smith basses do not get a lot of bidders on Ebay, or maybe alot is a strong word, but, I would think as great of a bass he makes, those basses would not stay up for auction too long?
    I have a BSR6MW,(SWEEEEET) and have no complaints whatsoever, but I am curious about this, has there been a problem with people trying to sell fake Ken Smiths? or other problems with Ebay? It seems to me the prices are fair, and seeing how Kens basses are ALL THAT and then some! how come these basses are not getting snatched off ebay from buyers?

My first guess is something happened on ebay that have left potential buyers of Kens basses very cautious, ya know, like how people try to sell Alembics on ebay that have BOLT ON NECKS

just curious???

Report this post to a moderator
  2. egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    From what I have seen most people on ebay are looking for a bargain. most of the starting bids and or reserve prices on Smith's that I have seen are very high and that can be a turn off for someone looking for a good deal. Just my two cents. I can't find the economy jazz style Smiths anywhere if you know a source clue me in please?PS. I've already tried Brooklyngear
  3. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder

Hey Check

I saw 2 in stock....4 & a 5 string!

Good luck!
  4. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    You can contact Rawn at R2Musical, I bought out the only one he had, but he said he'll get some eventually. I know Adrian had one before, and bassnw had one too, Rudy's Musical Stop in Manhattan, NYC has em too
  5. egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    Thanks Bointc? and dragonbass. I'll check these sources out.
  6. i love smiths, but i could never buy one on ebay.. or anything for any significant value for that matter, unless it was from someone i knew or had dealt with before. there's a lot of shady characters out there!
  7. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    I can tell you Love Smiths, I have heard some of your sound clips:bassist: you sure play your butt off:cool: ever thought of putting your clips on the Smith web site under "Musicians and artist that use Ken Smiths basses"
  8. thanks for the compliment. no i've never thought about anything like that because i really don't take music seriously at this point in my life. i mean, i love music, but i have a wife, 2 kids, a house, 2 cars, etc, and it all costs more than music can make for me, you know what i mean? i would like to do more with music, but i don't have that luxury at this point.

you know its funny that you say that though. there is a clip of keith horne on that i watch at least a few times a week! everytime i watch it, it makes me feel like i can't do anything lol. i suppose everyone has their own way of expressing themselves in music, and keith is a blessed individual. here's a link to the clip:

man he's one bad dude!
  9. i JUST SAW this video clip for the first time and it is WICKED....:bassist:
  10. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I've sold two of my Smiths on ebay. They do generally have very high inital bid prices - even the burner series.

I agress with cephase - I could not buy one online -or any other high end bass for that matter. When you get into that type of bass they really have to be played just 'cause they're not cookie cutter models like many other less expensive basses.
  11. egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) :)
  12. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    My two cents on this topic is that most of the Smith's on ebay aren't one's that would typically draw a lot of attention. Most people that are into Smith's are looking for BSR-P Pro's, CRV Pro's, and the Elite models. These basses to me are what have built Ken's reputation and are therefore the most saught after. I would also say that people into these models would probobly prefer to not buy them through ebay. I'm probobly the exception to the rule on this though. I've actually bought two Pro models with ridiculously low BIN prices. I defintley lucked out. Most of the fancier Smith have unbelievably high reserves which probobly lowers the overall interest. Also, being that this is a boutique item, the economy has a huge effect as well. You can find some really great deals out there if money isn' a huge concern.
  13. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Whoa. I'm not there yet but that's where I'd like to be. Say in about, Oh I dunno, a hundred years!!! One bad dude, I reckon. Killer. Thanx for the link.:cool: