1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ken Smith Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassMan2000, Jul 26, 2001.

1. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    Hey guys I was browseing around and played a ken smith 4-string wow they play great! What do you guys think of them?

2. i own a high end ken smith 6 string which sounds and plays absolutely beautifully! were you talking about the bolt-ons or the neck throughs? my experience is that the neck throughs all have this distinctive character to them - kind of like a certain frequency is bumped up in the high mids or something. the boltons kind of have it, but not as much to my ears.

3. I played a couple Ken Smith basses while in New York last March, bolt on and neck-thru, both were outstanding!!! Playability was incredibly easy. Almost effortless. I'm not a terrrific slapper but even slapping on this monster bass seemed much easier and sounded better to me than on many others I've tried. I'm hoping to make a Ken Smith 5 string my next high end purchase!

4. good choice wjr5 :p

5. JWBass

JWBass

Jul 20, 2001
    Levittown, PA
    I actually met Ken Smith at a guitar show in Philadelphia a couple of years ago, and spoke to him about his instruments. They are still made in a small shop in Bucks County, PA, one at a time. They are outstanding basses. Outstanding craftsmanship, outstanding sound quality, and they look marvelous. I personally prefer graphite necks, and therefore play a Modulus, but if I were to go back to wood, I'd go Ken Smith.

They make great strings as well!

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'm a big fan. My BSR6 GN has a quilted maple top and was made in 2000. It has the most upper register detail and clarity of all my instruments. Here's front and back:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

Damn, that is a nice looking bass!!!

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Ken makes excellent basses in a wide price range with a distinctive sound. Can't go wrong with that.

9. Very nice basses. Though, I must say that I much prefer the older style with the concentric EQ than the newer models.