Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ken Smith Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassMan2000, Jul 26, 2001.

1. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    Hey guys I was browseing around and played a ken smith 4-string wow they play great! What do you guys think of them?

2. i own a high end ken smith 6 string which sounds and plays absolutely beautifully! were you talking about the bolt-ons or the neck throughs? my experience is that the neck throughs all have this distinctive character to them - kind of like a certain frequency is bumped up in the high mids or something. the boltons kind of have it, but not as much to my ears.

3. I played a couple Ken Smith basses while in New York last March, bolt on and neck-thru, both were outstanding!!! Playability was incredibly easy. Almost effortless. I'm not a terrrific slapper but even slapping on this monster bass seemed much easier and sounded better to me than on many others I've tried. I'm hoping to make a Ken Smith 5 string my next high end purchase!

4. good choice wjr5 :p

5. JWBass

JWBass

Jul 20, 2001
    Levittown, PA
    I actually met Ken Smith at a guitar show in Philadelphia a couple of years ago, and spoke to him about his instruments. They are still made in a small shop in Bucks County, PA, one at a time. They are outstanding basses. Outstanding craftsmanship, outstanding sound quality, and they look marvelous. I personally prefer graphite necks, and therefore play a Modulus, but if I were to go back to wood, I'd go Ken Smith.

They make great strings as well!

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'm a big fan. My BSR6 GN has a quilted maple top and was made in 2000. It has the most upper register detail and clarity of all my instruments. Here's front and back:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

Damn, that is a nice looking bass!!!

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Ken makes excellent basses in a wide price range with a distinctive sound. Can't go wrong with that.

9. Very nice basses. Though, I must say that I much prefer the older style with the concentric EQ than the newer models.