1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ken smith bridge on a fender

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by renejaime, Jan 2, 2006.

1. renejaime

renejaime

May 25, 2005
    Austin
    Can a ken smith bridge be used as a direct replacement for fender's? if so, I like the top loading aspect of it versus a Badass II bridge.

thanks

2. Have you seen the BAIII's? - top loading.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The BAIIIs are not top loading that I see. Also, are the BAIII's direct replacements for the original 5 screw Fender style bridge? I thought the BAIII was only for the new style string-thru-body Fenders.

If you are referring to the 5 screw Smith "IV" Bridge then, yes, it is a direct replacement and has the same footprint and mass as a BAII, but is a much better bridge IMO.

4. renejaime

renejaime

May 25, 2005
    Austin
    thanks for the answers.

clarification: by Top Loading I meant "Quick String Release" as ken smith puts it.

5. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    The BAII as I knew was 'cast' Zinc. The Smith Bridges are All 'Machined' from Solid Brass stock.

I think the Brass has a bit more Mass than cast Zinc does. I used BAIIs for our Basses in the first couple of years until we started making our own. The Owner of the company Glenn Quan was a good friend and even sold us un-plated Blanks to engrave our own name in it. Our Bridge is similar in design but with the Quick Release and solid machined brass, I would consider it a step up or so. I still believe the BAII to be a great bridge if that's what you like. Our direction in design took us down a different road as things evolved for us.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Fascinating, thanks for the background Ken! I really like your bridge on my Palaedium. It replaced the original Badass II and it's very easy to see it's a similar design. IMO it's a better piece.