Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ken smith bridge on a fender

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by renejaime, Jan 2, 2006.

1. renejaime

renejaime

May 25, 2005
    Austin
    Can a ken smith bridge be used as a direct replacement for fender's? if so, I like the top loading aspect of it versus a Badass II bridge.

thanks

2. Have you seen the BAIII's? - top loading.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The BAIIIs are not top loading that I see. Also, are the BAIII's direct replacements for the original 5 screw Fender style bridge? I thought the BAIII was only for the new style string-thru-body Fenders.

If you are referring to the 5 screw Smith "IV" Bridge then, yes, it is a direct replacement and has the same footprint and mass as a BAII, but is a much better bridge IMO.

4. renejaime

renejaime

May 25, 2005
    Austin
    thanks for the answers.

clarification: by Top Loading I meant "Quick String Release" as ken smith puts it.

5. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    The BAII as I knew was 'cast' Zinc. The Smith Bridges are All 'Machined' from Solid Brass stock.

I think the Brass has a bit more Mass than cast Zinc does. I used BAIIs for our Basses in the first couple of years until we started making our own. The Owner of the company Glenn Quan was a good friend and even sold us un-plated Blanks to engrave our own name in it. Our Bridge is similar in design but with the Quick Release and solid machined brass, I would consider it a step up or so. I still believe the BAII to be a great bridge if that's what you like. Our direction in design took us down a different road as things evolved for us.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Fascinating, thanks for the background Ken! I really like your bridge on my Palaedium. It replaced the original Badass II and it's very easy to see it's a similar design. IMO it's a better piece.