SOLD Ken Smith BSR Elite 'G' - Exceptional

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by bassballs27, Feb 23, 2017.

1. bassballs27

bassballs27 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Price:
    $4200
    Strings:
    I just recently acquired this magnificent instrument in trade from the original owner. For those that know Ken Smith Basses, they know that this particular is considered a Golden Year. I can definitely see & hear why he kept this bass so long, it's spectacular! This was the second time I've ever played a Ken Smith and this bass really really impressed me. A shinning example and tribute to Ken Smith.

Since the previous owner had exceptional photos of this bass, I can't justify making my own.
    I have placed the original owners comments in quotes.

"This is a stunning 1999 Ken Smith BSR Elite G in near-mint condition with a stunning exhibition grade quilted maple top." - Very very minor wear on this bass, if any at all. Yes, it's been played and yes it's been loved.....but there isn't anything that would show up in close-up photos.

010a8528web-jpg.jpg

010a8521webedit-jpg.jpg

"The neck is a 5 piece laminate of maple and bubinga. It plays like butter!"
    You'd better believe it does!

010a8525webedit-jpg.jpg

"The quilted maple top and back are over a mahogany core. The bass is in flawless condition except for a hard-to-photograph scratch in the plastic rear cavity control cover. I can't find any other dings or scratches anywhere on the bass itself."

Fretboard appears to be Macassar Ebony based on my experience which works beautifully with Mahogany.

010a8535web-jpg.jpg

"The Smith humbuckers each have a series/parallel switch. The 3 band EQ is great, but the bass smokes in passive mode, too." - I whole heartedly agree!

010a8533webedit-jpg.jpg

"This bass would sell for more than $6,000 new."

Selling price is $4200 U.S. with shipping included and payment via Paypal in Canada or the U.S.

As for trades, I'm mainly looking for following brands:
    Alleva Coppolo, Fodera, Wal, F-Bass, Kenneth Lawrence, Carl Thompson, maybe a Pre-CBS Fender.

I also reserve the right to change my mind at any time and keep this magnificent bass.

As I've said in the past, you have to offer something special to get something special.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    atom1962, basses55, Edgar and 5 others like this.
  2. Latinbass

Latinbass Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2006
    Northern New Jersey
    I used to own a 97 Ken Smith BMT in quilted maple identical to this one. These are killer instruments.

Good luck Chris!

kittywithabanjo and bassballs27 like this.
  3. Strokey

Strokey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Florida
    Absolutely gorgeous!

bassballs27 likes this.
  4. Joelc73

Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Beautiful!

bassballs27 likes this.
  5. GospelGrooves

GospelGrooves

Mar 1, 2015
    Malaysia
    I would sooo keep it if I were you. A master grade quilted maple top, Ken Smith tone, 5 string. What more do you need aye.;)

bassballs27 likes this.
  6. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Yeah, believe me, I know what your saying. The woods in this bass represent THE best that Ken offers in my opinion.
    Mahogany and Macassar Ebony go great together......and in in the top. You've got the grand slam here......tone, looks, and playability. A very tough trio to get in one instrument perfectly. :)

7. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Ah, I really should be keeping this bass!!!

8. KC4BASS

KC4BASS

Feb 7, 2014

9. KC4BASS

KC4BASS

Feb 7, 2014
    This Bass Is Gorgeous!!!

bassballs27 likes this.
  10. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Lots of interest in this bad boy and rightly so....It's great!

11. GospelGrooves

GospelGrooves

Mar 1, 2015
    Malaysia
    You should. I almost made the mistake of selling my "go to" bass to fund for a custom a year ago. I'm glad I didn't. Would have regretted it for life if I did. Whatever it is, I hope your reason for selling this babe is a good one. GLWTS mate

bassballs27 likes this.
  12. Edgar

Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA
    That quilted top is ridiculous.

bassballs27 likes this.
  13. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Hmmm....this is tempting.

Questions - I saw the original for sale thread from the previous owner. Is he the original owner? As you are quoting his description - he mentions "presentation" grade top. Ken calls this " exhibition" grade. Did the previous owner mean exhibition grade? Do you for sure if this bass has "exhibition" grade ( the exhibition grades are a $600 upgrade ).

Sorry, have to be sure, it makes a difference to me.

Thanks
    John

bassballs27 likes this.
  14. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Yes. Steve was the original owner.
    And I've corrected his quote above. He did mean exhibition grade top.

Kmrumedy likes this.
  15. s_wood

s_wood Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Delaware (USA)
    I was the original owner... and Chris is spot-on. This is a great bass! As fine a Smith as you will ever see or play. And Chris is a great guy to deal with!

Kmrumedy and bassballs27 like this.
  16. Edgar

Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA
    The nice thing with Chris being located in Ontario is that you can try before you buy. Train, bus, car, it's only 45 minutes away from Toronto. :)

17. basses55

basses55 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    Endorsing artist: Alleva Coppolo Basses and Guitars, FBass, La Bella-Olinto Bergantino Audio Systems
    Maybe the nicest Smith I've played.....and a great guy to deal with.

18. KC4BASS

KC4BASS

Feb 7, 2014
    Are you accepting trades for this bass or trade plus cash?

19. KC4BASS

KC4BASS

Feb 7, 2014
    I have a Ken Smith 6 BSRGN Tiger Maple Walnut Core.