1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ken Smith BSR Frettless 6... 56K Beware...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SLaPiNFuNK, Dec 27, 2006.

1. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Im bored so took some new pix tonight... Havent seen man Ken Smith Frettless bass pix online here...

This is my BSR 6 G (1998)... I havent posted any pix of this one on here yet... Lacewood Top w/ Matched Headstock. Maple Core.

P1040753.

P1040754.

P1040755.

P1040756.

P1040757.

P1040758.

This bass has been posted on here before... Ken Smith BMT Elite G 6... Flame Maple top...

P1040760.

P1040761.

P1040762.

2. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Those are some very nice looking instruments you've got there. I especially like the lacewood top on the fretless - is that quartersawn? I ask because it looks very different from my old Lacewood Acacia.

3. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    Omg , incredible instrument.
    Congrats , you just gave me GAS of the month :D

4. put it this way..

nice looking bass....THANK GOD for broadband.

5. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    wonderful instruments. My main instrument is 6 string fretless but it's a Zon.

However, I still have my original Ken Smith 4 BT Custom that I bought new in 1985. I also just bought a couple of months ago a Smith 6 string fretted. I'm terrible with his model numbers but it's neck through, gloss finish, graphite bars......blah, blah.

I think that makes it an Elite something.

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    That fretless is just ridiculously good looking! What a beautiful bass! :bassist:

7. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California

Yeah, it looks like your bass top if cut horizontal to the grain, and mine is verticle...

I was shocked when I got my bass (ordered it custom) and it was cut with this grain... but I love it :D

and thank you everyone else!

8. Very nice basses. I mistook them for Carvin fretless 6 for a minute, but then I saw the title of the thread... and the headstock on the basses...

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    wow,

sweet smiths!

10. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Stunning basses. I bet they play and sound real nice. That little ding in the fingerboard near the C string in "half-position" would bug me though. I wonder if there's a way to fix something like that.

Thanks for posting those pics for us. Do you have any sound clips available?

Joe

11. war_n_peace

war_n_peace

Aug 9, 2006
    USA
    One of the things that I always thought was cool about the
    Ken Smith basses is the Nut ....

[​IMG]

12. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    P1040755.

You know,... I never noticed that before... I read this message from my phone at work and flipped out, couldnt wait to get home and look at my bass... then I saw the image here... eh... its nothing... If I played close to it I would be playing more then a 1/4 step flat... never bugged me... and I never noticed it till you pointed it out to me :D

13. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    wow, this sure wouldn't bother me. It shouldn't even be felt in "proper" playing position.

If this were to bother somebody, they wouldn't want to see my basses. Especially my 175 year old double bass.

By the way, that could be easily fixed by filler or steaming but, I'd leaver her alone.

14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Those are some beautiful Ken Smiths! I have no right to judge, but you should be GAS free.:bag:

15. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I meant it from a purely cosmetic perspective. It would have nothing to do with getting in the way of playing.

Joe

16. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Sorry that I freaked you out at work. That's never a good feeling. I know that it wouldn't get in the way of your playing, it's just a cosmetic thang.

Joe

17. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    hehe I know I understand...

I thought you ment on the fret board its self.... when you said 2nd position thats what made me think it was somewhere around the 5th frett...

the finger board has held up supprizingly well... i dig in with my left hand and sometimes slap bass on it... but sure do love this bass...!

(BTW I dont understand "GAS" explain?)

18. Pegstone

Pegstone

Dec 25, 2006
    I think I soiled myself :crying: I saw a red Ken smith used for around $900. the other day....I played it acoustically and man it was beautiful...not too fond of the red but if I had the $900. I think I would have....needed it.

G ear A cquisition S yndrome