Ken Smith BSR4MW

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chopsrtops, Mar 3, 2002.

1. chopsrtops

Feb 11, 2002
    New Jersey
    I've been lurking here in the background for about 6 months now reading the posts quite regularly without posting any of my own comments. During that time I've picked up some very valuable information, laughed at many of the amusing threads, and both agreed and disagreed with many of the posts. Recently, I'd decided it was time for a new bass having played a Fender Precision for about 30 years. Over the past 6 months I traveled around trying out many, many different basses at many Guitar stores in New Jersey where I live. I tried out Warwick, Musicman, Zon, Alembic, Tobias, and Pedulla as well as many others and couldn't decide which one I wanted until I picked up a Ken Smith BSR4MW. It was simply "love at first sight"! The Ken Smith bass was so comfortable it literally felt like it was "made for me". After checking prices with several reputable stores, and some deliberation I ordered the bass through Sam Ash in Edison, N.J. I had previously purchased other instruments from them for my children and felt very secure dealing with them. At the time of my order I spoke directly with Ken Smith himself and explained in full detail exactly what I wanted so there would be no mistake. Ken told me it would take 3-4 months for my bass to be built. Ten weeks later my salesman at Sam Ash, Jerry, called to tell me my bass had arrived and I could pick it up. When I showed up at the store Jerry and I opened the sealed box from Ken Smith to inspect the was everything I had hoped for and more! It is the most beautiful bass I have ever seen! The bass plays like a fits my hands like a glove, absolutely the most comfortable bass I have ever played in my life. It is very light compared to my old Fender....has a very fast neck....sounds incredible and has unbelievable sustain. When I originally spoke with Ken Smith he advised me to get the Smith soapbar pickups and was he ever right! The soapbars have an awesome, funky full sound unlike the jazz pickups and the 3 band EQ allows many different tones. The bass comes with a fabulous hardshell Smith case as well as special wrenches, polish, polishing cloth and a Ken Smith strap with dunlop straplocks. The only problem I encountered was that the strap was a little too short. One phone call to Ken Smith Basses solved that problem. They FedExed an extralong Smith strap to me the next day. I know that Ken Smith has personally taken some criticism here at TalkBass over the past few months but I would just like to take this opportunity to let everyone know that my experience has been nothing short of first class. I would highly recommend the purchase of a Ken Smith bass to anyone looking for a premium quality instrument. Also, if you're near central NJ and are looking for an honest deal on a quality instrument don't look any further than Jerry at Sam Ash in Edison...he's the "real deal".
  2. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Man, that sounds sweet! Congratulations! I can't wait for the day I'll get to pick up my Shuker...
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Congrats on your new bass, chops! I'm with you, I love the snarl of the Smith soapbars.
  4. odie

odie Supporting Member

Cool man. Sounds like you found your holy-grail.
  5. I can't imagine what you feel like when you open that box to meet your bass!!:eek:

Too bad I can't afford that kind of drug for now. But I will.....!

Ken, you'll be hearing from me soon.....:p

I really want a Ken Smith, I really want a Ken Smith, I really want a Ken Smith......
  6. Ken,

On second thought, what are my chances in getting you to endorse me?? Huahahaha :D

I mean I did a substitute for Abe Laboriel once in Canada:oops: :D