1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ken Smith BSR5J-MW-WoHoo almost!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeBass, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Just put one on layaway today.
    I really dig it. Smith's take on a Jazz Bass. Sorta!

Anyone else have any experence with this model??

I've owned a few Smiths in the past-CR5G, BT6G and know what those do, but this is my first ride on this model.
    My biggest complaint, if you could call it that, with Smith's, were they are super identifiable. The "Smith Sound". Now, don't get me wrong, it's one of the best tones around, but not exactly me. I'm more a Jazz Bass type of tone.

So far, in the shop this thing kills. I was looking around for a "back-up" for my Fodera and wasn't planning on spending a lot of cash, but this one is used and in excellent condition. And at a killer price!
    I was looking at around maybe $1K (hoping for less actually) and this came in a bit higher than that, but once I played it, I knew.

I bought it about 30 seconds after I plugged it in. I would have bought it without plugging it in (did that with my CR5G), but was curious as to how the single coils sounded. And they sound great!!
    And the neck on this thing......whew!!!!

Mr. Smith, I know you've offered this model for a while, but man!!! Another sweet one from your shop!!
    Can you build a bad bass?!?!?!!!:D

Pretty plain walnut top and a 3 piece maple body (maple body wings with a maple center block), gold hardware. 3 band pre-amp.
    The web site only lists solid body wings on this model, this one has a top. :meh:

Anyway, when I get pictures, I'll post them up. 'Cause I know the rules: "It doesn't exsist unless there are pics!"
    Give me a week or two!:)

2. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Mike, I had a BSRJ4 with avodire body/walnut center/bubinga board. Never should have sold it. I loved that thing. Incredibly punchy, played terrific, and the quality was up there with anything. They are wonderful basses.

I have been pining for a custom BSR-P "J". That would be a Pro level bolt-on with jazz pickups instead of the Smith humbuckers.

Anyway, nice score. They are really kind of unsung basses. I would love to have another.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Congrats Mike! The J models are my favorite Smith's too:hyper:

4. How sad is this.
    I just was telling a friend of mine about it. It's actually my "back-up" for my Fodera. Meaning if I'm going to a dive/seedy bar for a gig, the Smith will be the one in the gig bag!

Plus I really dug my Fodera tuned E-C, so I can leave it tuned that way for a while.

It's not 100% a done deal. Like 90% done.
    It was taken in on a trade and as long as the owner likes the new Smith he's getting (it has to ship out to him) then it's mine. So sometime next week.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

The Smiths with the soapbars have that distinctive Smith tone, but IME the ones with the J-bass pups can sound amazingly Fender-y... even the neck-thru models. :)

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    you know, i've never actually played one with j pups...but 'm glad to hear to positive vibes about them.

7. VJP

VJP

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    I had one that I seriously regret selling. Solid maple wings, lacewood center. Great bass. I want it back.

8. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Mike my first Smith was a BSR5J and everywhere I went with that bass people would stop me and ask about it based on the tone. It was killer! I traded it for a BSR5MW with Smith soaps and that's what I'm playing today. The J was really flexable and very playable, had a solid slap tone. I'm just a sopabar guy at heart.