Ken Smith BSR5MW

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jaycephas, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Jaycephas

Jaycephas Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Waxhaw, NC
    I just purchased a KS BSR5MW last week at Music Arts Enterprises (MAE) in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. I have been playing Fender basses over the last 25 years with the occasional side trip to G&L and Pedulla.

Folks, this bass is the nicest instrument I have ever owned or played. I tried out a whole lot of instruments before I pulled the trigger...Lakland, Modulus, MTD, Pedulla and even the Dingwall. The Smith bass was the one for me. The bass guy at MAE let me sit there for over two hours and play the bass pretty much interupted...alot to be said for a bass that sells itself.

Anyway, I've read most of the posts on Smith basses since and feel like I've made a wise purchase for the long haul.

Plus, Ken and I have been exchanging emails on minor informational questions I have...nice to get the personal touch.

I recommend this bass to anyone looking for an all around hand-made bass.
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I've played a Ken Smith 5er-I won't do it again as it could get expensive. Congrats on the bass and welcome to talkbass.

EDIT just noticed you went to MAE-I went there in April 2000. The guy who dealt with me was Matt, excellent service.
  3. rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    I bought a Smith bass 6 months ago at Chuck Levin's in the DC area. Like you, they left me uninterrupted because the bass was selling itself. I have the BSR5M, and I couldn't be happier. It is extremely easy to play, looks good, and has an excellent tone.

Enjoy it!!!
  4. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Congrats;) i have the BSR5M "tiger maple" and it sounds great:bassist: enjoy your new bass:p
  5. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Congrats!!! There's absolutely nothing better than finding "your" bass. Ken Smith makes a great bass. You're gonna love it for a long, long time.
  6. Welcome to Talkbass

Congratulations on you rKen Smith. May you have a long and happy life together!

I have a BSR4J Custom fretted and it is wonderful. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a high end jass style bass.

P.S you must post some pictures of your new bass for us all to drool over

7. Jaycephas

Jaycephas Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Waxhaw, NC
    Thanks everybody for all the positive feedback.

Pics...well, the exact bass is on the KS site under the bolt-on BSR5MW...walnut wings.

I'll get some more when I get a chance.

8. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    jaycephas, like you i played fenders for 20 years, with as you put it so well, several side trips.

when i moved to pennsylvania i was driving around the new neighbohood one day and found myself in the parking lot of Ken Smith Basses, LTD. :eek: My wife couldn't figure out why all of a sudden i could no longer speak. at any rate, i took a tour of the factory not long after that, Ken let me play several basses, and I ended up ordering mine from chuck levin's.

I felt the same way that you did. What an awesome instrument ! It was akin to travelling business class on United and then taking the Concorde.

Congrats !
  9. i ordered my first smith 6 from jeff at MAE in ft. lauderdale back in the mid 90's. jeff is a great guy, and pretty knowledgeable too. as a matter of fact, when i was looking into getting some bergantino cabs, i looked no further when i found out jeff was an authorized dealer. good stuff.