1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Ken Smith BSR6-GN

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by ped, Aug 17, 2007.

1. ped

ped User Commercial User

Aug 30, 2006
    York, England
    Endorsing Artist: Vigier Basses / owner: Basschat.co.uk
    In order to make room for the Shuker Custom headless MIDI 6 which is heading my way at some point, I'm selling my beloved Smith BSR6GN. I probably don't need to describe the quality and craftsmanship or Ken's reputation for no compromise in his quality control. Each bass is inspected and signed personally by him before leaving the factory.

These basses are THE ultimate instrument for jazz-fusion, RnB and soul.

Overall, the sound is completely different to anything else out there. Its warm, deep and growly in the lower and mid registers and the treble response is clear and sweet without being brittle. In the upper registers the instrument sounds very mellow almost like a flamenco guitar and it makes chordal playing extremely musical.

DSCF0244. DSCF0251.
    DSCF0250. DSCF0252.
    DSCF0271. DSCF0254.

The bass has NEVER BEEN GIGGED - thats right, home use and rehearsals only because I get confused by the number of strings sometimes and didn't want that to happen in front of a room full of punters! :) It was made in 2003, I bought it in 2004 and it features quilted maple facings on an unusual black walnut body core which gives is a crisp and clean sound with a full but not boomy bottom end. The 5 piece, graphite reinforced, through body neck is aged rock maple with bubinga laminates and a lovely, smooth carved cutaway heel. The neck is 34" scale, has 24 frets and is very flat which is also great for chordal work. Ken Smith uses many techniques that are employed in double bass construction so you can expect an instrument that is designed to last for years and can be easily repaired in the event of wear or an accident.

The pickups are Smiths own passive humbuckers mated to a 9v Smith 3 band eq. and the frequency centres of each band are tuned to the characteristics of the bass. String spacing is 18mm at the bridge and the nut is 55mm wide which is very comfortable and easy to get around on. The action is very low and buzz free and the neck is free of any twists or warps thanks to that huge slab of ebony used for the fingerboard.

Beautiful huh? It could be yours for £2000, no trades or offers thanks though because I need the cash! :) If it doesn't sell in the next few weeks before I put my deposit down on the Shuker, its going to go to the Bass Centre where their commission will be added on to the asking price.

You also get the Smith hard case and lots of case candy such as brochures, allen keys, duster and Smith polish.

International (Non Europe) buyers welcome.

Cash on collection, bank transfer or paypal if you pay the handling charges.

Cheers!

2. Do you still have the bass ?

3. KC4BASS

KC4BASS

Feb 7, 2014
    Do you still have the Bass and is it still for sale?

4. ped

ped User Commercial User

Aug 30, 2006
    York, England
    Endorsing Artist: Vigier Basses / owner: Basschat.co.uk
    Sorry it's gone

5. kuuuks

kuuuks Supporting Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I have one for sale at a very affordable price if you are interested....