Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ken Smith BT Custom value

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dreadhead, Aug 5, 2002.

1. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Hello guys! A friend of mine would wanna buy an used Smith BT Custom 5 strings. What would be the value of the model? I attach a pic... thanx a lot! ;)

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've seen those go for a couple o' grand or more.

3. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    $2,200.00?

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Yeah, between $2200 and $2300.

5. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    Hey! I play smith.....

strings......

6. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Thanx a lot to you all!
    The seller would want about $2400.00 for it. I did report your thought to my friend... he'll be probably able to lower the price a bit :D

7. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    ... what would be the fair price for an old BT Custom 4? I attach a pic... please let me know!
    ;)

8. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Actually, $2200 seems steep for that. It looks like it has a solid maple body as opposed to one with a top and a core wood which is more expensive. It also doesn't seem to have an ebony finger board. My guess is that it should sell between $1600-1800.

9. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    The 4 strings is not for sale at $2,200.00. It seems that the seller would let it go for $1800.00. Is it a top-of-the-line Smith? Do you think it's worth my money? It seems that it has a Mahogany body (I see it from the side of the wings).

10. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    The 4 string does appear to be top of the line. It may not be an elite but it's close enough. Elite's have like a 5 piece body or so and now come with the series/parallel switches. The older Elite's didn't include the switches. I love what the switches add to the versatility but the extra pieces of body wood doesn't matter much . If it's in great shape, I say $1800 would be ok, $1600-1700 would be better. My comment earlier was on the 5 string. I didn't realize this was an older thread. I have a BSR Elite 5G that is absolutely incredible. I've owned several Smith's and this one is by far the best. I spoke with Ken about the tone I was after and he suggested walnut core with cocobola top and he nailed it. I got rid of my Fodera after I got this bass because the Fodera seemed to be 3 steps below.

11. interesting choice in woods peter. as a fellow smith owner, i am very curious to know what yours sounds like.. what tone were you describing to Mr. Smith that you were after that he recomended the walnut core? have any sound clips out there in cyberspace waiting for me to listen to? :D

btw, i have a couple of clips of my smith if you go to the homepage i have here, although the clips are of some homemade recordings i made a while back, you get the idea i guess. my smith is mahogany core with maple top and back btw..

12. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Before you make your choice to buy this Ken Smith BT, you should think very carefully about how you play. This bass has a short horn is designed to be played sitting down, meaning it doesn't balance that good standing up. I had a BT 5 and traded it for a BSR model which I'm much more happy with because it has a longer horn and balances better for playing while standing.

13. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    I wanna stress that I've sent some mails to Ken Smith to know something more about the bass, and he said that the body was re-carved (it's NOT the original shape!). I must say that Ken Smith (or his customer care) was very fast and very honest with me. He was NOT bitter or rude.
    Since the body was re-carved, I think I'll offer a low price to the seller. If he accepts it, it's ok for me. Otherwise, he can keep it for the rest of his life... I don't think that a Smith with a re-carved body keeps its value properly!
    About the body shape: I usually play sitting, and my preferred bass is the Warwick Thumb (neck-dive!!!) :D
    I play a lot of slap and when I play fingerstyle, I ALWAYS use the bridge pickup. I love that Jaco nasaly sound. Do these pickups sound good in this way?

14. well, the bridge pickup is right next to the bridge, not in the classic jazz bridge position which gives that tone. so i would say that both pickups on slightly favoring the bridge pickup will give that tone. when you pan all the way to the bridge, it gives some serious honk though, almost too much i think.

15. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    I really appreciate the informations!
    Mr. Smith told me that the body was re-carved, and I think I'll try to get the bass for a great price or I'll don't get it.
    I don't think that there are too many peoples who would get a re-carved body bass, don't you think?
    I guess that the bass lost at least $200.00 or more of its value.