Ken Smith Burner 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassbuddy, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Anybody have any exerience with these? I've got a line on what could be a fairly good deal, but it would be a total flyer on my part. How's the tone - vinatge, modern? How's the B string? And what would be a fair price? Any thoughts appreciated.
  2. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I had a Burner Deluxe 5 for a while. It was my first 5 string. The following links to a review I wrote on it 3 years ago. There are two reviews on this page, mine is the second.

Burner Review

3. Thanks, James. How was the B compared to other 5's you've played? Anybody else?
  4. alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    I had a Burner 5 fretless (bolt-on neck). It was a ok bass, but nothing more. The one I had sounded alot like a Fender Jazz. I found the tones was very limiting. I ended up replacing it with a new Carvin B5 Fretless. No compairing the two, the Carvin is a much better bass, more tones, better construction and less money. But, the Smith did have a nice playing neck.
  5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Just my .02, but if you're looking for that "Classic Smith Sound," you might be a bit disappointed as I was when I tried one out. I love Smith's, but the Burners were defintley not as nice as his others. They aren't bad, don't get me wrong. I just think that there is a major differrence in sound and feel.
  6. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I agree with Halftooth. I a/b'd my Burner with my teacher's CRV5. No comparison. And the CRV5 is still a good distance from the top of the Smith line.

Now, that being said, I found the Burner to be better than a beginner's bass and capable of supporting a professional gig.

As for the B string, I'm probably not a fair judge. I thought it was pretty good. Then I got an Alembic 5, a Hanewinckel 6, and a Lakland Skyline 5. All have phenomenal B strings, but all but the Skyline cost significantly more than the Burner. It would only be fair to compare them to the middle and top models in the Smith lineup.

The Burner is a decent bass. I would buy it ahead of most Ibanez or Yamaha basses I have tried (except maybe BTB). Primarily because of neck feel and playability. But I would probably buy another Skyline for the same $$ if presented with that choice.

7. newbasscat

Mar 26, 2008
    I am new to basses and just bought a KS burner. I wanted to know if its posible that I can do some woodwork to this bass and increase the size of the pups (potentially put some ks soapbar pups in there)? If I can then is there someone in the SOCAL area that can do this for me?