Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

KEN SMITH BURNER BASSES

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    "A real Ken Smith bass, not like the burner bass"

I have heard this saying several times before and I would like someone to tell me what it means....

2. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I also want to say that if you look at my profile, you will see that I have several basses, and the Ken smith bass sounds better than all of them, I have played many basses and this Burner bass is just ALL THAT!! I would like to try there other models but they dont have a store in Minnesota, are there any other Ken Smith players out there who can give me feedback?????

PEACE!!!!

3. Damian Coccio

Damian Coccio Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2002
    USA
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Guitars
    I picked up a KS BSR6EG recently. It is tonally amazing. This bass is incredibly rich, even and articulate, but also quite versatile. It is in a totally different class than the Spector CFRM, Cirrus 6, Fender, and Warmoths I have. Amazingly, the relative quality of sound seems directly proportional to the price! Imagine that. Dont know much about the burner series, but the bolt on KS's I tried with the soapbars sound very good too.
    If you get one look for one with the series/parallel switches. They really make a difference IMHO. If im recording or playing chords/leads I really like parallel for the crispness, but if im just holding the bottom I really like the deep rich sound of series wiring.

Good luck!

4. i haven't played a burner since the early-mid 90's, but i remember thinking that they have a jazz bass vibe to them, but with more smoothness to the tone. they are very easy on your left hand as well. i almost bought one!

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The Burner series, with their bolt-on construction and three piece necks (as opposed to the standard 7 piece Smith neck), were regarded as the entry level Ken Smith bass. Of course, even an entry level Ken Smith is a thing of value.

All of the four string Burners I've seen are great instruments. The five string has uncomfortably narrow string spacing, IMO.

6. you know ken, this may be off topic, and a public forum may or may not be the place for this question, maybe shoot me an email if its not...

speaking about the burner series, the burners had the body shape that made me fall in love with Ken Smith basses. i later tried the chuck rainey models which were cool too, but i opted to order a neck through. my question is, why did you change the body style and make the headstock smaller? i feel that the original was great! not that the new one is bad by any means, but i don't see why the original was discontinued.

now, i am more inclined to look for an older, used BT series than order a new bass in the new body style.

NoDra likes this.
  7. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Thanks to everyone for their replies regarding Ken Smith basses, I personally have heard nothing but good news regarding his basses, and like I said, the burner one I have sounds better than the other five I have, it feels very easy easy to play and sounds punchy, but kind of smooth too! I wonder if his other basses all have the same string spacing as the burner, which is narrow, but great for finger style! I can slap a well on it also, but not with the ease of my finder, but I tell you the truth, if I could get my hands on a five or six string of his that has the spacing I like and at least the sound of the burner( I hear the higher end models sound MUCH BETTER than the burners) I would probably only have two basses, the burner and that one!!!

8. mkbass

mkbass

Mar 11, 2001
    I just wanted to say a few things. I play a Ken Smith Burner, its an amazing instrument. It was built with a bit of a different approach to a bass than typical for Ken Smith and co., but the end result was not far off. The bass is leaps and bounds above any other bass I have played. I have more that I will be purchasing soon.

I encourage anyone who has the ability to deal with Ken Smith, to do so. I recently have started working with them as a professional musician and have been provided with excellent support. They are knowledgable and willing to go out of their way to satisfy any of their customers.

Great company, and wonderfull instruments.

Khronic likes this.
  9. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    As a Burner owner, I want to concur with others here in saying that they're great instruments. Yeah, I know that the higher-end Smiths are better on the whole, but for the price, you'd be hard-pressed to beat them...

Atlanta Dave likes this.
  10. 707clown

707clown

Apr 9, 2009
    i just traded a carvin mdlf 6 string for my first Ken Smith which is a burner a usa made though from what i was told and i love it it is so easy to play and sounds just great i have alembic,celinder,spector,p basses,j basses,etc but this Ken Smith is sexy smoothe

11. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Actually mine is the "custom" model 6er with a 5 piece neck and flamed maple body. It is one of the most amazing basses I own. Every time I play it I'm simply astounded at just how good it is. It's one of my best, right up there equal to my Alembic and Modulus (though with quite a different personality of it's own). I have no issue with the string spacing.

If this is an "entry level" bass then I must be dead and in heaven!

Apparently they were made partly in Japan and partly in the USA.

http://www.kensmithbasses.com/models/bsrb/bsrb.html

13. steven conley

steven conley

Jan 3, 2012
    I purchased a BTC6EG on yesterday. I purchased it on a friends advice and can't wait for it to come in. It was owned by a working musician that played for George Clinton and Parliament. The story goes that the purchaser had 2 identical basses made. One he used giggin' and performing, and this one was not used and I've seen the pictures and it is in mint condition from 2009 and stunning. It has an Ebony top and back, with Ebony board and headstock front and back. An unusual special order. The neck has slickness and color designs unlike anything I have seen.Not sure of the core just yet.It has Maple 5 piece neck through neck. Even the case is new and beautiful . And I got it at an incredible price,...incredible. So soon I will lock myself away and won't come out till my beard is at least 3 inches.....can't wait! My Fodera's and Alembics are whispering things among each other every time I go into my music room......something about being jealous, and "Oh No He Didn't "...Maybe. I shouldn't have announced it or said anything! Things are a little tense and uncomfortable between us right now.

14. steven conley

steven conley

Jan 3, 2012

Attached Files:

15. steven conley

steven conley

Jan 3, 2012
    Thank You! I got it by happenstance. Can't wait to play it. I should post the artist and the bass he played instead of this.

16. steven conley

steven conley

Jan 3, 2012
    Below is the copy cat of the bass I am waiting for .... The Cat in the picture is a brother name Jimmy Ali. The bass in his hand is the brothers / sister to the bass I purchased. He plays professionally. His vision is my benefit! He didn't know when he ordered 2 that 6 or 7 years later one would go to me. Just excitedI'm just a bass lover! I appreciate all the others but a good bass is preferred often more than......if you know what I mean. It has not come in yet. But January 30 is my Birthday....."Yeah...it's my birthday ...it's my birthday....it's MY BIRTHDAY! Gave it to my self!!!!!

I am just excited Ken Smith and Bass lovers. When he purchased 2 he had No IDEa one would go to me! I am a Christian. I am Thankful . " Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!"

TinIndian likes this.