Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ken Smith Burner - Compressed

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by onebassplayer, Dec 23, 2001.

1. Just got a set of these in the mail. They were not what I wanted, but I probably screwed up placing the order. Anyway, the first thing I notice is that they feel like flat-rounds; they look like round-wounds. Couldn't figure out what the deal was until I saw the word "Compressed" stamped on the string package.

I put them on my 4-string Elrick anyway just to see how they sounded. What I did not like was that they didn't have any of that stainless steel edge in the sound; but they were funkey has hell - very smooth - Phat tone.

Pleasantly suprised - anyone else use these ?

2. Yep.
    I put a set on my Thumb bass and hated them.
    Before I threw the out I tried them on my Pedulla Buzz fretless and now will probally use nothing else.

3. I am going to use the bass this Saturday on a gig to see how they sound. Just playing around with them at home, I suspect that I will do the same thing (try a set on my fretless 5) - we'll see.

4. Good Luck, give us an update on your live sound views.

5. Well, did the gig, and the strings sounded great ! ! They were just edgy enough to cut through the mix, and subtle enough to hold down the bottom. Can't say how long they will keep the fresh sound, but I was pleasantly surprised. I’ll probably put a set on my fretless as well, but for my 4-sting Elrick… they are keepers. I didn’t even have to wait a couple of tunes to break them in properly, and weren’t harsh at all on the fingers – made playing very easy.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've been using Burners for a few years now, I've never seen compressed Burners. Interesting.

The Burners sound excellent on both of my fretlesses.

7. If me and onebassplayer are talking about the same strings they are acually called Compressors.
    I think they are a groundwound string.

I would suggest doing a search on commpressors because they have come up before but that would probally be like searching for "Smith" in the phonebook.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    So they're not "Burners"?

9. We will have to wait for onebassplayer to reply.

I use 2 types of Smith strings.

Compressors for the fretless and Burners for my fretted. They are both labeled Burners and Compressors, not Burners Compressors.
    Maybe they are a new type or I am mistaking.
    I have two packs here and neither say Burner Compressors.

10. gruffpuppy is correct... they are compressors - not burners (like I know what the hell I'm talking about !). Again, I received them by mistake - but they sound great. My expectation was that they would be flat, but they sounded fantastic. I ripped off a solo, and not only did they sound great, but they were fast (could have been the beer). I'm going to try a set on my Fodera just to get a 2nd take - I'll post another response.